Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dog with a coat that can be grown fairly long (some of you might remember he's a Bouvier). I clip him with Oster Classic 76 (similar to A5) and a collection of blades, esp. a #4 and a #30 with Wahl stainless combs.

When his coat gets long in the winter... like up to 5 inches long (on the long parts), I clip it down to something more like 3 inches. Of course he's trimmed shorter where appropriate. Recently I clipped him from about 4 inches down to 2 inches. When I run the clipper with a stainless steel comb through long fur like that, I have a problem with the fur pulling the blade off the clippers enough that it stops working well.

You know how the blades snap on with the spring-loaded tab? My spring tab is nice and strong (not worn out or anything), but to pull a blade through the fur coat, the blade gets pulled away just enough to keep it from full engaging and then it cuts poorly. This is especially problematic when there's a longer comb on there because it makes for more leverage to pull the blade away. To get through a tough section of fur, I often support the tip of the comb with my left hand.

There's got to be a better way.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
are you bathing him first? they fluff drying brushing and combing every little area?
Agree. This happens when tge coat isnt properly prepared before clipping. Wash, fluff dry while brushing, then comb to the skin all over. This will damage your hinge and blade drive on your clipper if it hasnt already because of the pulling and popping off of the blade.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts