Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here. I thought I posted message but I don't think it went through the first time. Has anyone's dog had seizure-like spells (yelping, curling up) from neck-disc-calciums deposits? Vet gave us steroids & told us to cage her but she has spells about every 2 hours where she hollers & curls up in pain. These attacks last for about 5-10 minutes. The vet gave us some muscle relaxers yesterday but that hasn't helped. Any ideas? I've read some things on internet about cervical disc problems but haven't seen anything where the dogs have attacks like this. I hope the vet hasn't missed something. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Poor pup.
I don't know much about the cervical disk issues either..but I do know that it can take several days or more to have the anti inflammatory effect of the pred start to work, same with the muscle relaxants.
Did she have the same "spells" prior to seeing the vet?
Could it be muscle spasms? Could it be pain causing seizures? Is she disoriented after the spells?
Sometimes there is more going on in the dog's system than the obvious "injury", whether related to the pain itself or something else, veterinary medicine requires a lot of guessing..since the dog can't really tell us much itself.
Give it a day or two more and then talk to your vet again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Cracker,

Thanks so much for replying. I guess it is going to take a while for her to get better. We took her back to the vet today & the back-up vet was working. She looked at the x-rays they had taken the other day and said her x-rays really look bad. She has narrowed space between a couple of discs in her neck. She said it's going to take time & to double up on her muscle relaxers at night so maybe she'll rest. We asked about giving her an antibiotic just in case there might be infection. She said she didn't see infection in her discs on the x-ray but gave us an antibiotic anyway. Vet didn't seem to understand why she was having the seizure-like symptoms except maybe it's because when she lies down, the spine is getting pinched from having her neck kinked. She said it might take 3-4 weeks for the swelling to go down. I asked if she could get another steroid shot but she didn't think that was a good idea. I just hate she's going through all this, especially the seizure-type episodes. The vet hasn't seen it happen so they don't understand what we're talking about.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts