Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with all the amazingly wonderful and good points about my puppy? The down points are making me pull out my hair! She wont listen to me. At all. Well when I walk up to her saying no, She gives me a look like she KNOWS shes doing something wrong...But wont stop until I pop her. Sometimes she picks things up in her mouth that I know she will try to eat so I call her name firmly but not like Im mad at her...And she runs off with the object. She wont come when I call her name or when I whistle or ANYTHING. My father can go "C'mere dog" And off she runs to him.
If you have any suggestions in helping me train her to at least come to a whistle .-. Id really appreciate it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What do you mean by "pop her."

As in, hit her?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean by "pop her."

As in, hit her?
No I dont HIT her like smack her or anything. I just pop her nose gently to get her to drop something, Thats about all she will do to drop it...Or I pry it out of her mouth but I hate having to do that.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You are probably offering her too much affection, not enough direction or discipline, and then wondering why when you're excited and mad she doesn't listen to you.

Dogs need calm & assertive - after raising a kid, I'm sure your dad's got it down pat.

Why don't you consult a dog trainer in your area to help you understand how to work better with your dog? Unfortunately a dog forum board is really hard to give advice on, because we can't see what you're really doing, and we can't see how the dogs really reacting.

Good luck :)
Meghan

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Ahhh.. yes.. you have a dog and you love her to death but really haven't the first idea of how to train her.

Can you and she get to an obedience class (these are usually 1 night a week for 8 weeks and typically cost around $100). Obedience class will teach you how to teach your dog and have home work to boot!

I would also read the stickie at the top of the forum on free clicker training classes and you can go to this site www.clickertraining.com

There is a book you can get that is pretty inexpensive with step by step instructions "The Complete Idiots Guide to Positive Dog Training" by Pamela Dennison. Don't be offended by the title.. it is a Penguin book thing.. and it is a good little book.

so, with that in mind lets start with getting your dog to come to you when called. Go get a hot dog. Cut it in quarters lengthwise. Now cut it cross wise so you get about 50 treats and put them in a baggie and put that in your pocket (loose pocket). You need to be able to reach in and get a treat very quickly from the bag and NOT let the dog get to it.

Now with your dog on a leash (in the house is fine) and her next to you say "YES!" and immeidately give your dog one of the bits of hot dog. Do this 20 times. Now up the ante.. when your dog looks at your face, say "YES!" and give the dog a treat. Take her off the leash. When she looks at your face, say YES! and give her a trat (ALWAYS give a treat immediately after you say yes.. even if you say yes at the wrong time).

Take a break after 5 minutes. Play with her with a toy. Now go back at it and every time she looks at you, say "YES! " and treat her. When she looks at your from across the room say YES and offer the treat (but she has to come to YOU for it).

After 5 minutes.. another break.. and continue. Up the ante again. Now she has to look at you and come toward you b4 you say YES and treat her. Eventually you buils on this until she only gets YES and a treat when she comes to you. At this point add your cue like "Here!"

As she starts toward you say the cue and when she gets to you say "YES!" and treat her.

NEVER pop her or yell or do anything to her when she comes to you in response to your cue. Occiasionally give her 4 or 5 pits of hot dog (one at a time) when she comes to you.

In a few days your dog will come for your cue. When she is conisistant, take her outsides and retrain this, starting on leash and eventually off leash in an enclosed yard.

Never work for more than 30 minutes. Always work 5 minutes only and take a break then work another 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Elana said it all, I just wanted to add that if you pop her on the nose when you reach her and she has something, you're teaching her that if you catch up to her when she has that special item, she gets something UNDESIRABLE. Thus, what reason does she have to come to you? So you can take away her special item?

So, you've been effectively training your dog to NOT come to you or give up an object on your command.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Let's look at things from your dog's point of view.

Your dog has free reign of the room. Everything around her is a toy. You can distinguish a Nylabone from a table leg, and you know that one's a dog toy and the other's not, but she doesn't. Everything around her is a different kind of toy. She picks a random toy -- maybe a CD case -- and starts chewing on it. She sees you coming up to her, and when you reach her, she gets popped. Doesn't it make sense that the next time she's chewing something and you try to get close to her, she's going to take off? A lot of the mysterious things our dogs do become obvious once we think of it from their perspective.

Elana gave excellent instructions on how to work on recall with your dog, but let's look at what to do the next time you see her chewing something she shouldn't be.

Remember this rule for the rest of your dog's life.
Dogs will do whatever is more rewarding for them.

That's it. Simple, right? But it's surprisingly easy to forget. All it means, though, is that if you want your dog to chew her dog toys instead of your furniture, you need to make chewing her toys more rewarding than chewing furniture. Praise her, cuddle her and give her treats when you find her chewing on her toys on her own accord. Don't yell at her or pop her when you see her chewing on furniture. Remember, she doesn't know it's furniture; they're all random objects to her. You just have to make some of those random objects more reinforcing for her to chew.

If she's already got something in her mouth and you want her to drop it? Remember, dogs will do what's more rewarding for them. Get a really high-value treat -- hot dogs, roasted chicken, cheese, a smear of peanut butter or honey -- and approach her. Say "drop it" and offer her the treat. When she drops the object to take the treat, take the object and give her the treat immediately. Shower with praise and give her one of her own toys to chew, then praise her for chewing that.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
A good Obedience Class makes SUCH a huge difference. It's more about training YOU to understand your dog and communicate what you want to her, and it helps SO much! So many basic behavior problems can be easily fixed that way. It's worth the investment!

·
Registered
673 Posts
This is great advice! I have been training my pup to stay at one spot until I move away and want her to come and she is great at this, she can be bribed with treats soo easy! Don't worry about that the dog will ONLY do this when there's a treat, after awhile they do it just for praise and to please you :)

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I agree with all those that suggested a training program of some sort. Dogs are not preprogrammed to be "loyal" "obedient" "well-behaved" or any of the other attributes people attach to them. A lot of training goes into the formation of a well balanced animal.

Read the stickies in the training forum regarding clicker training. You want your dog to look FORWARD to working with you. If all you give her is affection and punishment with no actual training/learning, your relationship with her isn't as fulfilling as it could be.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts