Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Diesel will be 2 years on 8-8-2009. I have had the joy of watching him grow and mature from a 4.5 pound worm-filled 6.5 week old “throw away pup” to an athletic well-mannered 75 pound gentle giant bulldog. He has never been a bother or caused any trouble. I must say that he does take up a lot of my time (and bed)…but honestly, I would not have it any other way.

Diesel gets all kinds of different looks from people we run into on walks…but if they take the time to meet him, he always makes them feel just a little bit different about the “pit bull breed”. I have had people who met him as a pup, see me with him now and they still remember him and call him by name. He is a bit more popular than me!

The one thing I wish were possible would be to see Diesel’s Sire and Dam…just to satisfy my own curiosity. I have had people called him the prettiest and most unique colored Boxer they have ever seen. I have had a guy tell me that his color is called a “Reverse Tuxedo”…like a Black and White Tuxedo turned inside out. I have had a guy come at Diesel and I with his “pit mutt” and ask why Diesel was so small? Of course I have also had the typical reaction from people who are petting Diesel and then I tell them he is a “Pit Bull” and they gasp!

The thing that catches my eye with Diesel is his speed. He has always been deceptively fast…acceleration and top speed. When he has been on controlled doggy days with a few friends, there have been none that could run with him…but he always remained friendly during these runs and seemed to enjoy getting chased then turning the tables on the chasers at some point. The other activity he loves is swimming. He will point upstream and paddle forever…or…chase a decoy over and over from shore to midstream. Of course this water activity is followed by some of the longest pee breaks in history…longest time clocked was 4 minutes 30 seconds of a solid stream…he actually changed legs at about the 3 minutes without missing a squirt!

One of the most incredible counterintuitive tasks Diesel has taken on? The take over of some kittens he discovered “thrown away” in the park. I wonder if he was paying forward his good fortune…since he was also a “throw away”? I would not put it past him. He did manage to pull “Pokey” thru and still acts like his mentor to this day. At times, Diesel can make you forget he is a DOG! That is until he runs across horses or cattle…then he is all DOG! Otherwise his temperament is fairly relaxed…even around most other dogs.

I have made it my duty to protect Diesel from getting into any situations that could jeopardize him. I take extra precautions and when there is any doubt…we get out! I try whenever possible to show other people that a properly controlled bulldog is not a menace to society…but at the same time I always stress that this breed is not for everybody. I let them know it takes a lot of time and know-how to keep them happy and safe. The biggest challenge seems to come from other “bulldog” owners I run into along the way. Many times they really have no idea about the requirements of this breed. The most asked question is if I want to breed Diesel with their 9 month old “blueblood” female that is in heat. I have actually had a guy “bark” under his breath while we were walking away, “What a waste! We could have made a bundle off the pups!” We just kept walking because this guy was not going to listen to reason.

Well this journey has been great and seems to only get better as we go…sometimes I lead and other times I let Diesel take the lead…but we always travel together!

…………………..Happy Birthday Diesel......................

From Year ONE

Diesel and The First Year

Well, it has been one year since I found Diesel discarded near the City of San Antonio Pound. I was feeding some stray cats, like I do every day/night, and Diesel walks right up to greet me...tail high in the air and not a worry in the world. It was dark and I could not quite make out his breed or color until I got him into the Jeep Liberty Diesel (which is where his name came from). I was befriended by a 4.5# 6-7 week old “pit bull” pup. I took him home and gave him some food and drink. He ended up sleeping with me from that night on. He never whined or cried for his mom or littermates. He just curled up with me and went right to sleep.

The first order of business was to get him to my friend who happens to be a Vet and get him looked at. He had round and tape worms but was otherwise in great shape (except for the two round suspicious circles burned into his coat). I took home the meds and started treatment. I had never seen such a mess of "cobwebs" come out of the business end of a pup before in my life. Still, Diesel never whined or complained...he just went about his merry way.

For the first 10 days, I concentrated on "potty training" him. I took him out every hour...then every two hours...then every three hours until he reached 8 hours with no accidents. It took less than 1 week for him to catch on. Now I could sleep thru the night.

Next, I watched him grow...it seemed like he got bigger each and every day. He was putting on about 2.5# each week without fail. He was also developing his own personality along the way. He has always been a bit of a clown and has the pit smile to go along with the great easy going demeanor. I took him everywhere with me…to work in the mornings, to the park at least twice a day where I found him, to the property on the Guadalupe River to watch him swim and even to the neighborhood bar where a couple of friends work. Diesel is a chic magnet and my two friends are in love with him. With all this “socialization”, Diesel has become more popular and well-known than ME!!!

He also has quite a few furry friends in his circle. He has had no aggression problems with either his Cat or Dog pals…squirrels and cattle are a very different story. The jury is still out on the Goats! I have even witnessed his eyes go from "deep baby blue" to "light grey" to "pale green", but his good nature has stayed intact.

There have been so many memorable times with Diesel this past year and he has turned out to be a great young dog. He loves everyone, especially kids. I have done all I could to protect him from getting into any bad situations and it has been worth every moment. The dogs that I have owned in the past taught me how to be the best guardian I can be for Diesel. I am sure the next year will be even more interesting to say the least. There is probably nothing that I would not do for my boy and vice versa.

Diesel is HERE TO STAY!!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Great story, and very lovable looking guy. Keep up the good work. I love pitt bulls, I have seen some very friendly and very gorgeous ones out there.

·
Registered
235 Posts
That kinda sounds like a movie plot to me lol
no offense

but that is a good story he is a real nice looking dog by the way

1 - 3 of 3 Posts