Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little something I was curious about, whether the response is always the same or its an individual thing...

When the food in your dog or cats bowl is half eaten, where is the remaining half of the food located? The near side (the side they stand at when the eat) or the far side (the side across from where they stand)? My cats bowl is always half full on the near side (we'll call this near sided), while my dogs is always half full on the far side(far sided). I was wondering whether this is a universal rule for all cats and dogs based on their different noses or eating habits or whether it is an individual thing? Anyways, tell me about your pets and whether they are near sided or far sided. Thanks for helping satisfy the curiousity of a weirdo!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
When the food in your dog or cats bowl is half eaten
I have yet to see anything half-eaten in my house. Honestly, I'm lucky I still have fingers.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Far sided ... like it gets stuck there if it is too moist and they cannot get it undone! Lol! :) I usually have to re-adjust their food! :/ It is like they push it forward with their nose.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I have yet to see anything half-eaten in my house. Honestly, I'm lucky I still have fingers.
Same thing at my house, none of my dogs leave anything in their bowls.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Far side sure seems like the norm, curious if all cats are like mine and tend to do the opposite. My cat eats half and then cries for me to rotate the bowl. She's the only girl in the house so she gets spoiled.

·
Registered
171 Posts
All three of my dogs... far sided. Plus, all three get the same dog food, same amount, and they all have to "sample" each others food. So we have a 3-ring circus every meal time. Thank goodness we don't have any food aggression issues.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Jubel only gets his breakfast in a bowl and it's a slow feed bowl. He inhales his food too fast to have a side I think, haven't really watched though. While he's eating I'm usually getting my lunch together. Closest I've seen is him getting the last few kibbles from one of the wedges but I'd guess it's more randomness than a set pattern on which wedge he cleans last.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
All of the cats seem to be far sided. The dogs I don't know, they never left anything when I fed them out of a bowl, and now I raw feed so I'll never know.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Katie just ate half her breakfast - the right side, both near and far.

My cat used to eat out of the middle. She's eat down to her bowl so her food was piled along the outer edge, and then I had to fill in the hole.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Well, you wouldn't know it lately, as the bowls have all been completely empty far more than usual.
Caught the cat eating the dogs' food yesterday. -.-' I know they steal his food when they can, so I guess now he's getting back at them. To be honest, I have NEVER seen a cat just casually eat dog food xD

BUTTTT, both the cat and Troubles are far sided I guess. When she actually eats, Aleu eats from the middle, so it all just falls into the depression she makes. And Diesel will eat in a circular motion just to be sure he gets every single last piece, then he searches the ground incase he pushed anything out by accident.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
what is this "uneaten" food you speak of? food last about 5 seconds in my house...10 seconds for the slow eaters.

if I go by what I see at work, if the dogs dont eat it all, the leftovers are usually either on the far end or on the left/right side. the cats usually eat from the top down the middle.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Katie just ate half her breakfast - the right side, both near and far.

My cat used to eat out of the middle. She's eat down to her bowl so her food was piled along the outer edge, and then I had to fill in the hole.
Emmett eats right to left... Zoey eats it all, lol!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Caeda eats out of the middle, and (if she leaves any) there is usually a row of kibbles all the way around :p Guess I got a weirdo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts