Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have posted on here many times about my dog and his allergies! We have had him on everything and nothing worked until...NB vegetarian! He is on both canned and dry because he doesn't like the dry but loves the canned. Now I know dogs need meat right? Then why is it this is the only food that has cleared up his allergies? He is doing so much better but can this be something he can eat for life?

I don't know what made us decide on this food other than we had tried everything else and nothing worked! And it seemed the more meat a food had the worse he got. I just think it's strange but I guess if it works don't mess with it, right?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I don't think that normal dogs should be on a meatless diet, but if that's the only thing that helps his allergies, well, you do what you gotta do.

What other brands/foods had you tried?

·
Banned
122 Posts
i used to have a pitbull who was allergic to chicken. man, it was pretty hard to find a dog food that didnt have ANY chicken whatsoever! even the slightest bit, like chicken fat, made him lose his fur! he was also allergic to wheat. corn, barley, and pretty much every grain. but grain-free are pretty easy to come by these days.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ok I have posted on here many times about my dog and his allergies! We have had him on everything and nothing worked until...NB vegetarian! He is on both canned and dry because he doesn't like the dry but loves the canned. Now I know dogs need meat right? Then why is it this is the only food that has cleared up his allergies? He is doing so much better but can this be something he can eat for life?

I don't know what made us decide on this food other than we had tried everything else and nothing worked! And it seemed the more meat a food had the worse he got. I just think it's strange but I guess if it works don't mess with it, right?
what were his symptoms?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He had goopy eyes, itching really bad, soars on his stomach, stinky itchy ears, and he just always stunk really bad, and he was always licking his paws. Now he is almost 100% better! It's so good to see him feeling so much better but I worry about him being on vegetarian food.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Also, if this is all that will work ... I would ask my vet about other vitamins and supplements he may need to replace the meat he is not getting. :)

I have a dog with allergies that can become severe ... I also went grain free and chicken free. But my dog can handle fish. If he could not handle any protein I would also look for advice from my vet.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
If your dog is doing well on the diet, I would personally keep him on it. He can get protein from other sources in the food. Is it ideal or would it be a good idea for "some" dog? No... but this is YOUR dog.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
That food is perfectly fine, AAFCO approves it. If it works then good.

You can continue to research food and try to switch to a meaty diet once he is completely resolved if you like later. You could try cooking and adding just a bit of meaty stuff to the kibble at that point and see what happens, choose a meat he has never had though. My dogs rarely got beef and pork as most dog foods seem to use chicken and lamb, maybe one of those. Maybe egg, maybe fish. If you find a meat that works then you could attempt to find a kibble that only has that meat not an easy task.

Dogs are carnivorous and meant to eat meat but a sick dog may need to get his protein else where.

Apparently your guy isn't sensitive to grains, that kibble has Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Peas, Potato Protein, Potatoes and Tomato Pomace! http://www.naturalbalance.net/dogformulas/Vegetarian.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts