Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the rule of thumb, 3% of body weight, my dog would need almost twice as many nuggets than the NV website. They say 10.8 oz a day! Is this because of the other ingredients in their food? Such as eggs, fruits and veggies?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yeah, I don't think the 3% rule can really apply there...
I always say, it's not an exact science...you'll really be able to tell yourself.
For instance, when mine were strictly on NV, they ALL ate 2 medallions a day. My dogs range from 2-5 pounds so that doesn't seem right and according to their calculators they would have me feeding my smaller ones less.
However, my two smaller ones have gained a little weight from eating the 2 medallions a day, which they really needed to and my 4 and 5 pounders have maintained their weight. An easy way to tell is by your dogs energy levels and by running your hands down your dogs body and feeling where his ribs are. If your dog is starting to "loose" his waist line you should cut down on the medallions etc. I wouldn't be too worried about feeding the exact guideline NV has, I used it more as a guide when I was feeding NV and not a "rule" of exactly how much or how little I needed to feed...hope this helps you some...

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I know some people feeding it, they feed above (more then) what the guideline says. Some are feeding twice as much to maintain weight. You will just have to try it yourself and find out (if you wish to use it).

·
Registered
334 Posts
3% is more a guideline for large breed dogs.

Small breed dogs usually eat more in the 5-6% due to higher metabolic rates.

My large dog would eat about 3% if she was strictly on whole food.

My two small breed dogs, who are on whole food, eat about 4-6%, depending on the time of the year and how much activity we're doing because of the weather.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
According to the rule of thumb, 3% of body weight, my dog would need almost twice as many nuggets than the NV website. They say 10.8 oz a day! Is this because of the other ingredients in their food? Such as eggs, fruits and veggies?
I wouldn't call NV raw - it's more like fresh hydrated kibble. So I would go with the websites suggestion for how much to give.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Anything not cooked is raw. They're meat is not cooked. Therefor it's raw. Just because it's not model prey doesn't meant it's not raw.

I guess it's not really offensive, just kinda upsets me.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Why is it offensive? BoxMeIn never said anything about it being inferior or low-quality... just that it wasn't raw.
Exactly. Thank you.

PureMutt, I think NV is very good product if you don't want to go the homemade route. And since you are using it, you want to go with their suggested amounts, not the suggested amounts of feeding a homemade diet since it's not the same thing. That's all I was getting at...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think you misunderstood my comment. If Nature's Variety isn't raw, try eating it and tell us what you think.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
If something's not cooked then it's raw. NV is a premade raw diet, because it's not cooked.

Also, the feeding instructions on ANY dog food are simply a guideline. Only you can determine how much your individual dog actually needs. I'm feeding NV kibble, and feed less than the guideline states. If I fed how much they wanted me to feed, my dogs would be morbidly obese lmao.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If something's not cooked then it's raw. NV is a premade raw diet, because it's not cooked.

Also, the feeding instructions on ANY dog food are simply a guideline. Only you can determine how much your individual dog actually needs. I'm feeding NV kibble, and feed less than the guideline states. If I fed how much they wanted me to feed, my dogs would be morbidly obese lmao.
lol. Thanks, I appreciate the input. It just seems that 11 nuggets a day is so little! I'm also adding in some Sojos dog food mix for additional nutrients. She seems to like it. It's the grain free Europa kind. I'm also gonna see if she likes the oatmeal mix, to help with her coat.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
PureMutt - perhaps my statement was inaccurate - but NV is not the same as feeding a home prepared raw diet, so you should go with what NV suggests for the feeding amount...and THAT is all I was trying to get at. Not that it was bad or to offend you...

And no, I will not eat it. :p

·
Banned
221 Posts
NV is basically a raw kibble. I wouldn't feed my animals anything I wouldn't eat myself(except maybe some organs). :)

Edited to add - But it is far superior to cooked kibble. :)

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
From what I'm reading on the web site, it is 95% ground raw meat & bones - the remaing 5% is veggies, fruits, & other stuff like herbs, I saw some flax seed.
Personally, I prefer to feed my dogs meat & RMBs only, I don't think the fruits & veggies are needed, but neither do I think a small amt would hurt anything.
We've had a couple of inquiries about NV raw here in our store, & we've put a freezer in & will hopefully start stocking with NV in the next few weeks - I'm waiting for the rep to call me back now.
I'd rather feed whole raw meat & RMBs, but I don't think it would hurt if I ocassionally had to dip into the NV for my own dogs.

·
Banned
221 Posts
I'm like you. To feed some occasionally wouldn't hurt and might just help for variety of protein sources. I wouldn't recommend feeding it exclusively unless someone is presently feeding kibble and the only way they would feed raw is to start with the premade stuff.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts