Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped at Pet Smart today and they did not have wha tI normally get "Taste of the Wild" for my dogs, so I picked up a new brand I have never seen before called "Nature's Recipie Turkey and Vegtables."

Is this a good brand? I read the ingredients and it seems good. I gave my dogs some tonight and they ate it up.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The biggest problem that I have with Nature's Recipe is the "animal digest". What kinds of animals are we talking about here? This is certainly a very low quality additive. Maybe the pet store will get the TOTW in soon ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree 100% with LadyD.
I'd be really nervous of Nature's Recipe. Isn't it made by Del Monte? I prefer to stay away from those huge manufacturers personally.

I'd say rather find something much closer to the quality of TOTW if you can. Nature's Recipe also has by-products and menadione (Vit K). At least it doesn't seem to have BHA or BHT, so that's something, lol.

You can also check out this site http://www.dogfoodscoop.com/index.html. They've got a couple of great charts like what to look for and also dog food ratings. They gave NR a 1.

PS - I bet your dogs gulped it up ... Yaaay, we're getting McDonalds finally. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, what should I do now? Should I toss it away? I do not get this brand ever, I normally get Blue Buffalo or Taste of the Wild.

Shall I get rid of it and go buy Taste of the Wild? I do not want my babbies sick. I heard Del Monte food was making dogs sick, but did not know Del Monte made Nature's Recipie. :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
You obviously care a lot about your babies (like me, lol). Blue Buffalo and TOTW are top quality foods.

Are you a good customer at your Pet Smart? My local pet store gets a lot of business from me, and they've offered to take back open bags if my doggie won't eat a new food. (They don't unfortunaely offer samples). Can you try this with them? Just tell them the truth that you made a mistake, and only realized after you'd opened the bag, and that you really want a top quality food. It's worth a try, don't you think?

I once bought my pup a new food ($40) which he ate for a week or so and then went totally on strike!!! But at that point, I didn't feel right about bringing a 1/3 empty bag back, lol, so I had to give it away.

Do they carry Merrick? It's also excellent. And they make all their foods at their own plant which I like the sound of.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, once I learned what exactly is "animal Digest" I nearly vomited. Animal digest can even include "put-down" animals---with that poison leathel injection still in the bodies because it does not break down, also a variety of other nasty stuff---all for saving/making loot! And one person said all three of their dogs began getting sick off of Nature's Recipie---all at the same time, one even vomitting blood. and when he stopped feeding them that, they got better right away.

So I tossed out my full bag of that crap. I did not feel like driving 45 minutes to where I got it, so I just went someplace else and bought "Taste of the Wild" Samon and Potatoe. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts