Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to dealing with food sensitivities. When I was growing up we had a German Shepherd who ate Pedigree her entire life with absolutely no digestive or skin issues (of course she did die of cancer at 9 years old). Last week my dog suddenly developed explosive diarrhea (he was eating Blue Buffalo Chicken and Rice). I called the vet who told me to switch him to a bland diet. I didn't have any chicken that night so I fed him ground beef and rice, then went to the store for chicken the next day.

So he had one tiny formed stool after the ground beef. This might have been his first truly formed stool of his 1.5 years of life, they have always been soft and I thought that was just normal. As soon as I switched to the chicken he had watery stools again, so I have determined that he can never have chicken again. So now I am trying to find a new quality food for him. A couple months ago he had a skin infection/rash that tested negatively for ringworm. The only change in his diet was that I was giving him canned food with salmon in it as a treat, so I am hesitant to give him anything with fish in it.

Since he was doing well on the beef I tried finding something with beef, but have been unsuccessful. In addition, every quality food I have looked at with "alternate" protein sources has turkey or fish. So I am trying Nature's Recipe with Venison right now and so far it is going well. The ingredients look pretty good to me and it "scores" well on the rating system that my breeder gave me to select a dog food. But it is the cheapest dog food I have found that isn't bargain brand. You would think that is great but it makes me a little suspicious. Is there anything I am missing in this ingredient list? Or does anyone have a suggestion for a good food with beef/venison/or possibly rabbit as a protein source? My budget is $50 for a 30-35 lb bag.

Venison meal, ground rice, oatmeal, pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), pea protein, animal digest, potassium chloride, minerals (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), yeast culture, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), inositol, niacin supplement, vitamin A supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, beta-carotene, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), choline chloride, yucca schidigera, rosemary extract.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I actually just replied to you in the other thread about dog food! lol

You mentioned wanting to try ToTW but couldn't find one you think he would do well on. I feed pacific stream since my girl really enjoys the fish but I looked up their varieties for you and found:

High Prairie Canine Formula

with Roasted Bison & Roasted Venison

Grain-Free
Roasted Bison and Roasted Venison
Optimal Amino Acids
Antioxidants
Omega Fatty Acid Blend
Digestive Support System
Sweet Potatoes
Berry Blend
Tomatoes & Tomato Pomace
No Corn, No Soy
Chelated Minerals

Ingredients:
Ingredients
Bison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product,dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

It has chicken meal so I don't know if that will be a factor but it would be something to look into maybe.

Also they have
Sierra Mountain Canine Formula

with Roasted Lamb

For All Life Stages
Grain-Free
Roasted Lamb
Antioxidants
Omega Fatty Acid Blend
Digestive Support System
Berry Blend
Tomatoes & Tomato Pomace
Chelated Minerals
No Corn, No Soy

Ingredients:
Lamb, lamb meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, peas, canola oil, pea protein, roasted lamb, tomato pomace, natural flavor, salt, choline chloride, mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative and source of vitamin E), dried chicory root, taurine, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha I just saw that :) I was actually thinking about deleting this thread since people were replying to my questions on the other one! But I don't think I can lol. But I will definitely look into those options! Thank you so much. I actually asked over there if the chicken meal would be an issue, but I think I will try the lamb recipe first and see if it will work. He had lamb for a couple months as a puppy but it was Science Diet, so I think that his loose stools were a reaction to the quality of the food and not the lamb.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I don't think the chicken meal would be -that- big of a problem - but it's great that you asked there!

I couldn't feed Bella Blue Buffalo because I think she's a bit sensitive to chicken (Siberian's are known to have sensitive stomachs but two months of diarrhea was silly to me to try and keep her on Blue Buffalo). I switched her to Holistic Selects to their Fish based food and she does wonderfully on it - but it has chicken meal in it and it doesn't bother her in the slightest. It was actually the food that fixed her diarrhea problem.

Now I feed ToTW Pacific Stream - keeping to the fish based foods - but she also can tolerate 4Health chicken.

And you're very welcome! I try to help as best I can! I think I'm actually going to try the Lamb next. but that won't be for a bit since I just bought a 15 pound back of Pacific Stream.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
As I said in the other thread, the only thing to watch out for in Nature's Recipe is the menadione... it's a shame because it'd really be a decent food otherwise. A few formulas contain a bit too much potato for my liking, and some are grain heavy, but otherwise a fairly decent food. Unfortunately, due to the menadione, I wouldn't personally feel comfortable feeding it.

Umm... I think Fromm Beef Frittata does not contain chicken or fish. What about Acana Ranchlands?

There is also the "simpler" formulas such as California Natural (who have 4 grain free formulas with few ingredients and one protein source).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know! Thank you again for all the suggestions :) It is pretty easy to get overwhelmed when you're looking at these ingredient lists

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Yeah, sometimes it is totally insane. Because more often than not, ingredients towards the bottom of ingredient lists don't really make up too much of the food/matter much, but when it comes to certain chemicals and such, they DO matter, IMO.

I remember when someone pointed out the menadione to me and I hadn't even recognized it. I think most of Purina formulas have this too.

My favorites in regards to kibbles would be Champion (Orijen/Acana), Petcurean (Go!/Now!) and Fromm (the 4-star formulas).

I am almost certain Go! or Now! would also probably have a chicken-free formula. The only formula without chicken in Fromm is, I think, the beef one that I mentioned. The others have chicken fat, I think, but they are coming out with two new grainfree formulas in Jan.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I fed my Girl Taste Of the Wild for almost a year before switching her to the raw diet. Being a shar-pei, skin sensitivities and food allergies are common. i must say, she did very well on TOTW. I suggesta grain free food for any dog.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I have a dog with food sensitivities and/or allergies. I got a list of ingredients to keep away from, it came from an online friend who got it from Tufts. The list is chicken, corn, wheat, soy, rice & flax. I found through trial and error that Boone can't have brewers yeast. Not only do you have to look at your food label, but canned, treats and supplements. I once bought a bottle of salmon oil, didn't think to check it but one of the inactive ingredients was soy.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I feed Kimma something similar to the Nature's Recipe Venison - it's the Natural Balance Venison formula. She has IBD and had loose/watery/mucusy/bloody stool for about 2 months between October-December 2010, and before it got that bad, she just had regularly loose stool that caused her to have anal gland issues. All blood/fecal tests came back negative, and the vets couldn't figure out exactly what was wrong, so I did the bland diet thing for about a week, and saw no improvement. The vet put us on Royal Canin formula with venison, and we took all treats (except for Cheerios) out of her diet. We slowly reintegrated treats over a few months, and sure enough, she had reactions to chicken. Before her food switch to Royal Canin, she had been on Blue, Wellness, Fromm, and Pro Plan Selects for a couple of months each to no avail. She did SO WELL on the Royal Canin, but I didn't like that brand, so I found Natural Balance and it has been awesome. She actually LOVES eating her food (unlike when she was sick). And we are able to give her a variety of treats/chews now. Just no chicken stuff and minimal beef.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts