Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone recommend feeding a 1 year old German shepherd puppy natures logic even though it has high calcium levels? When I emailed the company they emailed back saying that too much calcium is only a problem if it comes from synthetic sources like in most dog foods, however they don't use any synthetic vitamins or minerals and all the nutrients in their food comes from whole foods. So they said that since they don't use synthetic calcium and the calcium in their food comes from whole foods, then the high calcium doesn't affect the growth of large breed puppies. I have also included a picture of the email Does anyone have thoughts on this?
Font Screenshot Document Publication Parallel

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
1,236 Posts
I would discuss it with your vet. The company can declare anything they want and make it sound very scientific, but that doesn't make it true.

Reactions: ryker_gsd

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
The ratio of calcium to phosphorus is important, not just the level or source of calcium in the food. Too much calcium, or too much calcium in relation to other nutrients, can also cause developmental issues. At a year old, you can just switch to adult food.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I would discuss it with your vet. The company can declare anything they want and make it sound very scientific, but that doesn't make it true.
Vets ate notoriously ignorant when it comes to nutrition, especially nutrition in a growing largevto medium breed dog!

Calcium MUST be balanced to phosphorus. Typically dog food companies add ground bone to their food. This hopes to insure a proper Ca/P ratio.

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
1,236 Posts
I have not found that to be true. My vets have all been very knowledgeable about nutrition and dogs of all breeds. I would trust them over some commercial dog food company or a stranger on the internet any day.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Most practicing veterinarians have very little training in canine nutrition as part of their veterinary college course work. I think the requirement is one class and canine nutrition is one if several species covered.

There are, however, veterinarians who specialize in nutrition. Here is a link to certified veterinary nutritionists in the United States.

·
Banned
3 Posts
The puppy's diet changes over time based on the history of german shepherd. Once upon a time everyone said to feed a puppy one thing at a time. Now all the dog nutritionists tell you to feed your puppy a completely different way. It would be easier for someone to feed a food. And someone can do a proper balanced diet. And it's a matter of habit. The most important thing is not to be lazy and study more information for German Shepherds. And of course during the first year closely monitor the health of the puppy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts