Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shelter I adopted Lilly from fed her Nature's Best Puppy Food by Hills Science Diet and gave us a free bag when we brought her home. During her first vet exam ( I received a free exam certificate from the shelter for any VCA hospital) The vet provided me with a free bag of puppy food from Hills Science diet (not the natures best formula)

What are your opinions on this line? Lilly seems to really like it.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I would not feed it to my dogs...but if you puppy is doing well on it and if you feel comfortable with it ...continue:)

IMO you could find something better :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would not feed it to my dogs...but if you puppy is doing well on it and if you feel comfortable with it ...continue:)

IMO you could find something better :)
I agree you can do a lot better than SD. They use such low quality ingredients, even my dog, who my naive vet considered "healthy" experienced a ton more energy and a healthier coat when I switched him to better food.

My dog eats natural balance right now, Plus I throw in a few healthy goodies like raw egg,shredded carrot,yogurt,or a 1000 milligram capsule of salmon oil.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Read the ingredients.

Ingredients: Chicken, Brown Rice, Whole Grain Wheat, Cracked Pearled Barley, Soybean Meal, Chicken Meal, Pork Fat

Chicken has water about 80% of it is water. Remove the water and it's farther down. The rice is good, the wheat not so much. Lots of grains. Finally some more chicken, and then pork fat.

You can find better.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Thank you for your responses-what would you recommend?
Searching the board, because people have posted lots of recommendations for good foods, and info on how to pick a good food. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts