Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for organic of natural replent for flea and tick and heartworms... Doin some research just seeing what or any products there that are good...he's on raw so I read his blood should be bitter now not sweet Idk how true that is but still need something else for him thanks guys

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I wouldn't mess with "natural" heartworm prevention. It's too high of stakes and a lot of the natural stuff is highly toxic. One drop of Ivomec once a month has got to be less dangerous than trying to find the proper dosage of something natural that's toxic enough to kill heartworms but not toxic enough to kill your dog.

For fleas/ticks, some people swear by Bug Off Garlic (made by Springtime Inc). It didn't really work for my dogs but I guess it works for others.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I should stay with triflexer?.. I been using it.. but I know its a heart worm and flea med I would rather just have him have one med but I'm lost when it come to that stuff.. I'm just trying my best to get make him healthy and strong:)...

What type of dogs to have if u don't mind me asking:)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I use a combination of natural and conventional - for fleas and ticks I use Essential oils and garlic/apple cider vinegar. We apply a drop of Lavender(Fleas) and a drop of Rose Geranium (Ticks) Oil to their collars 2x a week - you can apply more if you want. I use 1/16 teaspoon of garlic every other day. On the off days, i add organic apple cider vinegar. About a teaspoon is good. They both repel fleas very well.

For Heartworm we give ivermectin monthly. Thankfully, I only have to do this during mosquito season and I am in michigan - It's about 6 months out of the year.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I'm gunna use the oil after this month of triflex I don't wanna risk it I'm down in south texas i don't think were bad yet and hes outside:/.. only for a few more months then I move out and he's inside forever... Is there any risk using those oils? ..

As for heartworm I heart Aussie are not suppose to have certain ones... That's why I'm scared Idk if hes half or not.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Then don't use it and talk to your vet - if you think he is aussie you will need to talk to a veterinary professional.

Oils are safe, just put them on the collar. Don't apply to skin of the dog, they can be very sensitive.

DO NOT USE OILS ON CATS. They can't process oils and will get very ill or die. It has to do with their liver-it is completely safe for dogs.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
I have no clue about triflex, but Ivermectin is usually the drug used to prevent heartworm. Ivermectin is toxic to some herding breed (including Australian shepherds) that may contain a defective gene. I don't remember the specific gene. I think it causes neurological damage iirc.

The aussie owners here can probably tell you more but I'm not sure if your dog has the defective gene if they haven't shown any reaction to heartworm medication.

Heatworm preventatives seems pretty important right now. My vet was telling me how there is currently a shortage of supply for the medication that treats heartworm so dogs that actually have heartworm can't be treated due to lack of medication. Not sure if that issue has been solved yet.

Edit: Ok do you mean Trifexis? That doesn't use Ivermectin although I don't know if it's safe for the MDR1 gene. (Googled it and found out what that gene was). Also found site that said ivermectin in low doses like what's used in heartworm medication will not cause a reaction. Not sure how trustworthy that is but it's from an aussie site http://www.ashgi.org/articles/mdr1.htm. Similarly the site they linked to says milbemycin, the drug in trifexis is also affected by MDR1 but "safe" in the doses for heartworm prevention.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have no clue about triflex, but Ivermectin is usually the drug used to prevent heartworm. Ivermectin is toxic to some herding breed (including Australian shepherds) that may contain a defective gene. I don't remember the specific gene. I think it causes neurological damage iirc.

The aussie owners here can probably tell you more but I'm not sure if your dog has the defective gene if they haven't shown any reaction to heartworm medication.

Heatworm preventatives seems pretty important right now. My vet was telling me how there is currently a shortage of supply for the medication that treats heartworm so dogs that actually have heartworm can't be treated due to lack of medication. Not sure if that issue has been solved yet.

Edit: Ok do you mean Trifexis? That doesn't use Ivermectin although I don't know if it's safe for the MDR1 gene. (Googled it and found out what that gene was). Also found site that said ivermectin in low doses like what's used in heartworm medication will not cause a reaction. Not sure how trustworthy that is but it's from an aussie site http://www.ashgi.org/articles/mdr1.htm. Similarly the site they linked to says milbemycin, the drug in trifexis is also affected by MDR1 but "safe" in the doses for heartworm prevention.
It can be treated - its just very hard to get, thus very expensive. The company that manufactured it shut down :(

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I use a combination of natural and conventional - for fleas and ticks I use Essential oils and garlic/apple cider vinegar. We apply a drop of Lavender(Fleas) and a drop of Rose Geranium (Ticks) Oil to their collars 2x a week - you can apply more if you want. I use 1/16 teaspoon of garlic every other day. On the off days, i add organic apple cider vinegar. About a teaspoon is good. They both repel fleas very well.

For Heartworm we give ivermectin monthly. Thankfully, I only have to do this during mosquito season and I am in michigan - It's about 6 months out of the year.

I use the oils only and this has worked very well for us, even though I only do it once a week and have even forgotten a week here and there. My dogs have not picked up fleas at all since I started using the oils and they had fleas twice while using the store bought flea preventative.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Old natural cures:
1. Penny royal oil - I don't recommend this, because it is deadly if ingested, but it is natural and it works.
2. Brewers yeast, Vit B-2, Garlic (toxic?) were all suggested b/c they made the dog smell and taste bad to fleas. I've never used it.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Don't mess with heartworms.

This month I have had success trying 50/50 apple cider vinegar and water. Spritz the dog as needed (ie when you see a flea it's time to spritz again, or as often as you feel necessary). Soak it through everywhere except the head.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't mess with heartworms.

This month I have had success trying 50/50 apple cider vinegar and water. Spritz the dog as needed (ie when you see a flea it's time to spritz again, or as often as you feel necessary). Soak it through everywhere except the head.
Okay I went with triflexis ..is heartguard safe dog my vet said they should be he's a mix.. he's a englishbulldog/ ? But we think he a Aussie kind and I don't really wanna risk it but just gotta ask trying to get less meds as can

·
Registered
400 Posts
Looking for organic of natural replent for flea and tick and heartworms... Doin some research just seeing what or any products there that are good...he's on raw so I read his blood should be bitter now not sweet Idk how true that is but still need something else for him thanks guys
Black walnut tincture, wormwood, and HQII are natural Heartworm preventatives and cures.

Neem oil, amber, garlic/brewers yeast, and different essential oils work for flea and tick.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Okay I went with triflexis ..is heartguard safe dog my vet said they should be he's a mix.. he's a englishbulldog/ ? But we think he a Aussie kind and I don't really wanna risk it but just gotta ask trying to get less meds as can
You can test for the mutation in the gene that affects that, ask your vet about it if you're really worried.

Boxerlover, wouldn't you feel terrible if someone used one of the heartworm "preventatives" you mentioned, which aren't proven (show me some links to back that up if they are), and their dog contracted heartworm and died?

·
Registered
400 Posts
You can test for the mutation in the gene that affects that, ask your vet about it if you're really worried.

Boxerlover, wouldn't you feel terrible if someone used one of the heartworm "preventatives" you mentioned, which aren't proven (show me some links to back that up if they are), and their dog contracted heartworm and died?
http://www.theherbsplace.com/Heartworm_Success_Stories_sp_105.html

Wouldn't you feel terrible if you suggested a conventional Heartworm treatment and their dog died from side effects? It's a two way street.

·
Registered
463 Posts
http://www.theherbsplace.com/Heartworm_Success_Stories_sp_105.html

Wouldn't you feel terrible if you suggested a conventional Heartworm treatment and their dog died from side effects? It's a two way street.
Anecdotal evidence is the weakest form of proof you can possibly have shown us to prove your point.
I can say that I drink lemonade every day and I don't have cancer, so lemonade must prevent cancer! And I imaging I could find a boatload of people that drink lemonade everyday that also don't have cancer, and together we would swear that it is a great preventative and have plenty of people believing it. That doesn't make it true, they're stories.
There are a million reasons those dogs did not develop heartworms, and they have no scientific backing what so ever. If you are going to stick to your guns about these all natural cures, I would like to see more concrete evidence please.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Yeah no I'm not risking my dog's life based on anecdotal evidence. Huge difference between that and raw feeding or flea prevention. There is tons of proof to back up conventional heartworm prevention. Sorry.

Also I eat ice cream a lot and I have Asperger's syndrome so maybe ice cream causes Asperger's and no one should give their children ice cream. See how that works? Neat huh?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Plus, black walnut and wormwood can be super toxic (I'm not familiar with the other substance). Why is natural toxicity better than synthetic toxicity?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Tinctures are different than strictly using black walnut. A tincture is actually pretty safe and has been proven to work at prevention and treatment of heartworm. I have read about it in numerous books, including the holistic veterinary guide. They wrote a huge article on it in dogsnaturally magazine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts