Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that a ton of members here feed their pets "natural" foods like Wellness and Innova or prepare homemade or raw diets. I have nothing against these choices, but I have never seen such a high concentration of owners prefering this type of food on one forum. Is this a recent trend? What is wrong with Eukanuba, Science Diet, Royal Canin? What's up?

·
Banned
55 Posts
We just started feeding our labs natural foods because we read up that sometimes animals are allergic to some of the additives the other foods and my 115lb black Lab Mya started having allergies within her first year. We are not quite sure what it is but we have started changing all their treats and foods over to natural to be sure.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
i hold high standards for what my dogs food has to meet. eukanuba, science diet, etc. dont meet those standards. everything you need to know is on the label, you just need to take the time to read it and educate yourself on what it means

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I have noticed that a ton of members here feed their pets "natural" foods like Wellness and Innova or prepare homemade or raw diets. I have nothing against these choices, but I have never seen such a high concentration of owners prefering this type of food on one forum. Is this a recent trend? What is wrong with Eukanuba, Science Diet, Royal Canin? What's up?
I suppose it's a current trend. I find it's this way on most dog forums or with most serious dog people. People tend to put a lot of thought into what they feed, even if we don't agree (as can be seen here from the variety of diets).

We personally started when Beau had allergies to his food which had been both Science Diet and Purina (One and Pro Plan). I started reading about foods looking for info about allergies and ended up deciding I'd been feeding things that I was no longer comfortable with. Couple that with the recent food scare and we went over to Natura products (after a couple failed attempts at other 'natural' foods). Anyways, I couldn't be happier than I am feeding Innova right now. It's worked fabulous.

·
Banned
785 Posts
The only natural diet for a dog is raw meat, bones, and organs. Any other "food" is not only unnatural but inappropriate.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
We had one purebred dog that for 5 years failed to thrive on commercial food, but this was several years ago. There weren't many single protein or grain-free foods on the market. So that's when we ended up switching to raw...so that we could control what she was eating. And since she did so much better on the raw diet we switched our other dogs as they came to the household as well.

However, my only issue with an ingredient list that starts with corn and has lots of other vague ingredients is that most of that stuff is filler (dogs can't digest it, use is only as fiber, makes for larger stools), I'm not sure what some of the vague ingredients really are, and I'm not confident that some of the largest food producers are monitoring their raw ingredient sources for quality control as closely as they should be. We were able to feed much less on the few higher quality, nutrient dense kibbles we tried but our dog just didn't do well on them.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
The only natural diet for a dog is raw meat, bones, and organs. Any other "food" is not only unnatural but inappropriate.
these kinds of posts are starting to get to me. theyre making me feel like you think youre better than me because i dont feed raw. and theyre also making me angry like im not as good a dog owner because i dont feed raw.

truthfully, i tried feeding raw. raw isnt for every dog.... it didnt work for my girls. i wouldnt call what i feed my dog "inappropriate"....

·
Banned
785 Posts
truthfully, i tried feeding raw.
I can't comment on that because I don't know what you were trying to feed.

raw isnt for every dog.... it didnt work for my girls.
Thats the same as saying grass isn't for every cow. It won't work for my cows so I will feed them meat instead.

Cows have been eating grass for millions of years. Dogs have been eating raw meat, bones, and organs for millions of years. Cow's bodies are designed to digest grass. Dog's bodies are designed to digest raw meat, bones, and organs.

i wouldnt call what i feed my dog "inappropriate"....
Truthfully, you are feeding one of the better kibbles but it still is highly processed and has some inappropriate ingredients in it. You could do a lot worse. :)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I have had dogs for 14 years and always read labels on the bags. I haven't used kibble for 18 months and am not going to go back to it. If I cannot cook or do raw I will use canned foods. I don't eat many highly processed foods why should my dogs?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I wouldn't call it a trend. I just think people are becoming more educated and aware of what they are feeding their pets. Folks are reading the labels.
I began the switch to raw when my Vet back in the early-mid 90's did more than just treat my dogs. She helped educate me. She included me in on any tests done on my dogs by showing whatever was under the microscope, she would show me why X plus Z would cause 123, etc. She showed me the reports the Vets received, but not the public, showing that annual vaccinations were not only not beneficial for dogs but harmful.
It was through what I learned from my Vet, a lot of self-study, and issues with one of my GSD's health that paved the way for to feed only raw.

Jihad
and the pound puppy crew.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cows have been eating grass for millions of years. Dogs have been eating raw meat, bones, and organs for millions of years. Cow's bodies are designed to digest grass. Dog's bodies are designed to digest raw meat, bones, and organs.
The flaw in this argument is the extensive breeding and domesticating of dogs. I agree that a wolf or wild dog should be fed what it would eat in the wild, but a Bichon has been bred so that just about every aspect of it is different than our dogs' wild ancestors. If coat, size, temperment etc. have all been altered, I highly doubt that a Bichon or any type of specially bred dog will have the same nutritional needs as a perfectly wild dog.

·
Banned
785 Posts
The flaw in this argument is the extensive breeding and domesticating of dogs. I agree that a wolf or wild dog should be fed what it would eat in the wild, but a Bichon has been bred so that just about every aspect of it is different than our dogs' wild ancestors.
Other than size and appearance, your little bichon is identical to a wild wolf. They have the same digestive system and same nutritional needs. All the other internal organs are identical also. Nothing about breeding or domestication has changed that.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could someone run down some benefits of holistic and natural foods? I am curious. The vet clinic where I work has very few clients who feed this type of food. And the ones that do often come in with more stool issues and digestive upsets than patiens on traditional foods. I would love some more information. Thanks!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just as in humans, holistic does not equate to "better for you." It typically means ingredients that correlate to what is considered a healthy diet.

Natural can mean just about anything, as even things that are man made are indirectly derived from nature.

I choose to feed kibbles that are minimally processed, contains few if any grains, and has a "balanced" ingredient list that contains fruits, vegetables, starches for a couple of reasons. Most importantly it is what works for my dogs. IMO thier coats look good, thier stools are as fine as poop can be, and they get top marks from my vet sans inconsistent dental care (if only I could get them to brush before bed every night).

Also, I tend to eat on the healthier end of the food spectrum, so why would I want any less for my dogs?

·
Banned
785 Posts
Could someone run down some benefits of holistic and natural foods? I am curious. The vet clinic where I work has very few clients who feed this type of food. And the ones that do often come in with more stool issues and digestive upsets than patiens on traditional foods. I would love some more information. Thanks!
The words "holistic" and "natural" on any dog food have no meaning. Any dog food company can use those words on any bag of food they wish. There are no regulations telling them when they can or can't.

The only explanation I have for your observation is that the dogs were put on what they thought was holistic food because of digestive problems they had. When the so called holistic food didn't help the digestive problems, they came to the vet. Holistic, natural, and traditional kibbles are no different.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
What is wrong with Eukanuba, Science Diet, Royal Canin?
These brands are not awful....but they are incredibly overpriced for the quality. If I were going to feed a dog food that has corn as the first or second ingredient, and by-products listed next, I'd go with Dog Chow and pay half of what Science Diet costs. The ingredients are nearly identical.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
these kinds of posts are starting to get to me. theyre making me feel like you think youre better than me because i dont feed raw. and theyre also making me angry like im not as good a dog owner because i dont feed raw.

truthfully, i tried feeding raw. raw isnt for every dog.... it didnt work for my girls. i wouldnt call what i feed my dog "inappropriate"....

It's not worth a second thought. This is HIS opinion, and opinions are just that, it does not make it true. He has the right to his opinion, just as you and I do. I have a dear friend who thinks our current President is the best thing since the black phone, and I feel the opposite. What she says doesn't make me feel angry, because I control my emotions, and I choose to love her anyway! LOL

I feed my dogs Innova EVO in addition to fresh (organic when possible) meats (lamb, beef, bison, and venison), and Kosher chicken breasts, plus Wild Alaskan Salmon, Albacore, sardines in olive oil or spring water. I buy organic brown eggs, organic vegetables and fruits, etc. Their diet is mainly meat, with some carbs, and include live culture plain yogurt, low fat cottage cheese. Their bowels are very regular, are firm and formed without mucous, they aren't gassy at all, and have never needed their teeth to be professionally cleaned - nice and white without tartar, and their breath doesn't stink like a lot of dogs. Both dogs are 7 yrs. old.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I think this is the attitude that some people are irked about. The OP just asked what is wrong with brands like Eukanuba, Iams or Science Diet, he or she wasn't arguing that raw isn't natural and notice that he or she put the word 'natural' in quotes, which to me, means that foods such as Innova or Wellness are not necessarily natural but are advertised as such. I'm not saying you are wrong, but the way you make your mother earth statements may irk some people. I think that the OP was asking why are people moving towards foods like Innova, Wellness or raw.

My response would be that more people are concerned about what their dogs eat. Dogs are increasingly becoming integral parts of our human families and as such, the 'natural' and 'holistic' movement is being transferred to our dogs. So it follows that these 'natural' and 'holistic' dog foods would evolve. ARe they better? Who knows really? It seems that dog food companies use the words 'holistic' and 'organic' to draw people in as they are not regulated. Raw is obviously the most natural food you can feed your dog; kibble was created for the convenience of humans just as Kraft dinner was created for kids. To me, deciding what to feed your dog is part trial and error, part research and part your ability to afford the premium foods and your willingness to prepare a raw diet.

·
Registered
317 Posts
When I adopted my dog, she was on Nutro Max. Then I used Eukanuba because I had a coupon for a free bag. Now that I have done my research on dog food ingredients, I decided to try Innova. I am trying to give my dog the best ingredients I can at a reasonable price. Frankly, my dog eats better than I do, and maybe she'll inspire me to improve my diet.

The raw diet sounds great, but I am not someone who can dedicate the time and energy needed to feed BARF, so I do the best I can with commercial dog food.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts