Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my dogs is a Bouvier Des Fandres who's average weight has been around 130lbs. His name is Zeus and he has always had a stool issue. He has never pooped like my other dogs. His stool was always soft and loose. I found out about the Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish dry food. I put him on that. Well his stool is like a normal dog now, the problem now is the significant weight loss experienced while on this food.
He has always been fed 4 cups a day ( 2 morning/2 night), but on this food the weight is basically falling off.
It's my belief that if you are buying what is considered a higher end food, you shouldn't have to feed your dog more.
Has any body else experienced this with the Natural Balance product.
It should be noted that I have started to ween him off of this food.
I also have a Greyhound and an American Bulldog on the Costco chicken food and they are doing great. I am going to switch all three to the CostCo lamb and see how Zeus handles it. This is day 2 all is well.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Did you read the recommended feeding instructions?

10 lbs or Less - 1/2 to 1 cup
10 - 20 lbs - 1 to 1.5 cups
20 - 30 lbs - 1.5 to 2 cups
30 - 40 lbs - 2 to 2.5 cups
40 - 60 lbs - 2.5 to 3.5 cups
60 - 80 lbs - 3.5 to 4 1/3 cups
80 - 100 lbs - 4 1/3 to 5 cups

That's as high the chart goes - if we were to extrapolate, I'd estimate that you've been underfeeding by somewhere around 20-30%. Don't assume a higher grade food necessarily means it's more calorie dense; a Big Mac has a lot more calories than steamed Red Snapper, but that doesn't mean it's better for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts