Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been back and forth with nug trying a number of things, and I keep coming back to natural balance lid fish and potato because it's the one thing that really seems to get rid of all the itchies. His skin looks good, everything is good on it.

Just had a price increase- well, price stayed the same but bags went from 28 to 26 lbs. It isn't a deal breaker, but are there any other good limited ingredient /sensitive skin formulas anyone has tried? I really would like to get away from the fish (because frozen fish stuffed kongs are awful smelling) but I know he can't do things with wings. Haven't experimented much beyond that.

Any suggestions?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Since the price jump isn't a deal breaker, I'd start with experimenting with Kong stuffings first if the fish smell is a big negative. Maybe a lamb and rice type canned food for a stuffer?

I fed Earthborn Great Plains to a dog with skin issues once and he did well on it, but I cannot say if it was related to a poultry issue or not; it has egg product but no chicken fat or chicken meat or meal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you know what is causing the itch? If it isn't a medical issue and the result of dry skin I would suggest a daily fish oil supplement. When I got my husky his skin was dry and flaky and I started giving a daily fish oil supplement and there hasn't been a problem yet. It also made his coat so very soft.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
our dog that had poultry allergies did great on the solid gold bison formula (the Wolf blends). We are currently on Solid Gold's Barking at the Moon(fish and... beef I think but NOT fishy smelling at all) that is poultry free, grainfree, but its expensive- I wait til I have a coupon and get it for $55-60 (regular price is $69) for 28lbs....
Merrick grain inclusive isnt too expensive and there is a beef formula that my guys loved... but the barking at the moon is alittle better quality and much higher protein so I dont have to feed as much of it..
If you buy Taste of the Wild high prairie puppy formula ( I mix it in with the Barking at the Moon to extend it once a month) thats also poultry free and much cheaper- I get it for $44 for 30# at the feedstore....

·
Registered
334 Posts
Since you've had luck with Natural Balance, what about their Venison, Bison, or Lamb formulas? I'm not necessarily a fan of them but if the food's working for your dog, well...

Also, California Natural makes LIDs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts