Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm grating on my puppy's dry kibble to make it more appealing. A pet store clerk told me that's what she did with her dog. He wasn't wanting any of the premium dry puppy food that I bought. It smells like a Slim Jim, and will eat the dry if it has finely grated Natural Balance in it. So yeah, I like it. It's better than him stealing all of the cat's food and turning his nose up at dog food.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I'm grating on my puppy's dry kibble to make it more appealing. A pet store clerk told me that's what she did with her dog. He wasn't wanting any of the premium dry puppy food that I bought. It smells like a Slim Jim, and will eat the dry if it has finely grated Natural Balance in it. So yeah, I like it. It's better than him stealing all of the cat's food and turning his nose up at dog food.
Just curious, but why not just feed him Natural Balance then?

To the OP, I've used NB in the past as well for quite a while actually. The dogs did very well on it and it was reasonably priced compared to other foods.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Natural Balance is the only food that has worked for my dog. He does not have allergies, but always had a sensitive stomach. Switching to single source protein and grain free has made a huge improvement. Read the ingredient labels and you'll see how many other foods have a bunch of added stuff. I feed fish and sweet potato formula.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We just switched to Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish. Actually, we are in the process of switching. After everything we just went through with our other beagle ( IVDD, surgery, and losing her anyway) we need to get his weight down. He also has allergies where he scratches his ears and chews his feet. Hoping this will help both. He seems to really love it. I had started cooking for him. Making chicken, black beans, rice and a vegetable. I was not confident that I was going to be able to get all the nutrients right. So I am trying NB. He seems to like it just as well as the chicken and all.

Tricia

·
Registered
500 Posts
Natural Balance, although not the best food, is VERY decent for the price. The food is sorta bland, it's best to mix in with some canned if your dog doesn't take to right away.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Natural Balance, although not the best food, is VERY decent for the price. The food is sorta bland, it's best to mix in with some canned if your dog doesn't take to right away.
It's intended to be bland. It's made for dogs with allergies and sensitive stomachs. My dog with colitis did very well on the fish and sweet potato formula because it was bland. If you have a dog with any stomach issues, mixing with canned defeats the purpose. :D

The OP never said why s/he was asking about this food.. guess we'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just curious, but why not just feed him Natural Balance then?

To the OP, I've used NB in the past as well for quite a while actually. The dogs did very well on it and it was reasonably priced compared to other foods.
I'm using the Natural Balance Dog Food Roll. It's like a giant beef stick. I don't think I saw any NB kibble. I didn't realize until this conversation that there were all the different formulas. All it says on the package is Natural Balance Dog food, so that's what I thought we were talking about. I don't think the formula I'm using is could be bland. I saw on their website that they also make a bunch of allergy formulas and other formulas. For regular feeding, I'm using dry Wellness puppy right now. The NB dog food roll does have instructions to use it as regular dog food, but I think it may be really high in calories. I also think it would be too expensive to use the roll as regular food for a large adult dog. The roll I have cost $7.95. a fifty pound dog would eat more than two thirds or something like that in one day if that was his regular food. A suggested use is to grate it on dry food to get puppies over weaning and make them want to eat their food. That works for us. The smell of it is what seems to help. He wouldn't eat dry food, but was going crazy trying to get to the cat's food.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I'm using the Natural Balance Dog Food Roll. It's like a giant beef stick. I don't think I saw any NB kibble. I didn't realize until this conversation that there were all the different formulas. All it says on the package is Natural Balance Dog food, so that's what I thought we were talking about. For regular feeding, I'm using dry Wellness puppy right now. The NB dog food roll does have instructions to use it as regular dog food, but I think it may be really high in calories. I also think it would be too expensive to use the roll as regular food for a large adult dog. The roll I have cost $7.95. a fifty pound dog would eat more than two thirds or something like that in one day if that was his regular food. A suggested use is to grate it on dry food to get puppies over weaning and make them want to eat their food. That works for us. The smell of it is what seems to help. He wouldn't eat dry food, but was going crazy trying to get to the cat's food.
Now it makes more sense. :cool: Natural Balance rolls are like doggie crack so I'm told. Dogs just can't ever get enough of it. I agree it probably would be too expensive to feed a 50# dog.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Now it makes more sense. :cool: Natural Balance rolls are like doggie crack so I'm told. Dogs just can't ever get enough of it.
LOL He likes it better than plain dry, but the cat food is still more alluring. It smells good though. It smells like a beef stick for people.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think most dogs would love cat food. But it is not good for them. I believe it is much higher in fat than dog food. If my dog gets to it he just scarfs away at it. Partly, I'm sure, because he is trying to get as much as he can before we get him away from it. I'm trying to find away to put it on a higher level cause I was told it was really bad for them.

Tricia

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Yeah, cat food is very bad for dogs. Try putting the cat's food on top of the washing machine or in a baby-gated room so the cat can get to it while the dog can't.

I've fed Natural Balance in the past with good results. It didn't really help Spunky's allergies, but Honey looked great.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Back when I thought Max had food allergies I fed him the NB Duck & Potato formula and the Fish & Potato formula. Turns out he doesn't seem to have food allergies but he did pretty well on it. Especially the fish flavor, it was nice on his coat. I still use NB canned food for his dinner (Wellness kibble for breakfast) because their canned food is the most reasonably priced compared to other quality brands. It's a good 60 cents cheaper per can. And of course I've tried the rolls as treats and Max loved them. So all in all, I'd say it's good stuff.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah, cat food is very bad for dogs. Try putting the cat's food on top of the washing machine or in a baby-gated room so the cat can get to it while the dog can't.

I've fed Natural Balance in the past with good results. It didn't really help Spunky's allergies, but Honey looked great.
I haven't been feeding my dog cat food, but he wants it real bad. I had hoped the NB would be so good that it would smell better than the cat food. My cat is 15 years old, and can't jump like he use to. I didn't think he was able to jump over a baby gate anymore, but he surprised me the other day.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Cat food has a lot of sugar in it (that's what my trainer said) but it isn't good for doggies.

I use NB food roll as training treats (cut up into pencil eraser-sized bits). Both dogs love it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I used NB rolls cut up for training and tracking.

We've also fed the NB dry food. Dogs did well on it, but did seem SUPER thirsty. We feed in crates, with water mixed in the food. When we'd let them out a few min after eating we'd have dogs rush to the water and gulp down tons.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
It's intended to be bland. It's made for dogs with allergies and sensitive stomachs. My dog with colitis did very well on the fish and sweet potato formula because it was bland. If you have a dog with any stomach issues, mixing with canned defeats the purpose. :D
I'm thinking of switching to the NB Limited ingredient food - both kibble and canned. Why are you saying not to mix canned with kibble for stomach issues?

Yes I fed the NB Sweet Potato & Duck to my RB Girl (she loved it) :( Last year their was a recalled and NB was one on the list not a lot of ppl will trust that line of food again
I'm feeling a little leery, I have to admit. Although the NB web site said they are testing for a number of things, including melamime (sp?), which was in the rice gluten they were buying. You can key in the manufacturing date printed on the food you buy and you'll get back test results for that date batch. It's somewhat reassuring I guess....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts