Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Hmm, maybe a new network? I just saw in TV Guide that the new season is about to start. . .the byline was "Tsst happens" :p :rolleyes:. I'll look and see what network they're advertising.

ETA: Hmm, weird, it says "Dog Whisperer with Cesar Millan Saturdays at 8EP new season starts July 7th Nat Geo". It's weird they would have bought a bunch of advertising for DW when they knew there'd be a new show.

ETA again: oops, it says Nat Geo WILD. That's a different channel, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Hmm, maybe a new network? I just saw in TV Guide that the new season is about to start. . .the byline was "Tsst happens" :p :rolleyes:. I'll look and see what network they're advertising.
He is staying with nat geo.... Just a new show.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i havent heard anything about this new show, just that they arwe canceling DW, what is this new one supposed to be about? im not sad abotu it or anything, of course (i only watched it to prefect my own dog body lango reading skills with the sound off LMBO) i just thought it was interesting

·
Registered
281 Posts
i havent heard anything about this new show, just that they arwe canceling DW, what is this new one supposed to be about? im not sad abotu it or anything, of course (i only watched it to prefect my own dog body lango reading skills with the sound off LMBO) i just thought it was interesting
Says in the first link

Cesar Millan and Nat Geo Wild are proud to announce a new 12-part series called ‘Leader of the Pack’ starring Cesar Millan, in replace of Dog Wisperer with Cesar Millan. In the new series, Millan combats the global issue of canine abandonment, giving ‘unadoptable’ dogs a second chance and coaching families from across Europe who are vying for the opportunity to adopt lucky pups.
After this 12 part series, I would not be surprised if the Dog Whisperer comes back. It's his money maker, he won't be gone from it for long.

·
Registered
211 Posts
His new show seems to be more rescue oriented than training oriented, which is good, or at least better than him teaching training techniques that often end up putting dogs in a rescue situation.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've never watched Dog Whisperer but isn't it that with that guy who keeps telling people they need to be dominant over their dog and leader of the pack and everything? I don't want to be dominant over my dog, but I do want a dog that is potty trained, good on a leash, knows her name, doesn't chew my furniture, and good with people and animals.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don't want to be dominant over my dog, but I do want a dog that is potty trained, good on a leash, knows her name, doesn't chew my furniture, and good with people and animals.
It´s not really an option I think.Cesar Millan shows you that you are either the leader of the pack,or your dog is.Dogs feed off of your energry,and if you come across as weak,they become dominant and this causes behavioural problems.Dogs dont think it´s awful of you do be the "Alpha" of the pack,and if you gain their respect,they are just more laid back and easier :)
I totally admire him and I have all of his DVDs :D

·
Super Moderator
7,366 Posts
It´s not really an option I think.Cesar Millan shows you that you are either the leader of the pack,or your dog is.Dogs feed off of your energry,and if you come across as weak,they become dominant and this causes behavioural problems.Dogs dont think it´s awful of you do be the "Alpha" of the pack,and if you gain their respect,they are just more laid back and easier
I totally admire him and I have all of his DVDs
Except that all that dominance bull-hooey has been disproven for over 20 years by, you know, actual science.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Except that all that dominance bull-hooey has been disproven for over 20 years by, you know, actual science.
I'm interested in the scientific studies you are referencing. I'm a new dog owner and haven't made up my mind on Caesar yet. I would really like reading about those studies.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well,it works for him,and what he does and says makes a HUGE amount of sense to me :) I´ve used ALOT of his tactics and it´s all worked.In packs of dogs,there is always an Alpha that the rest follow and respect,so why is the dominance bull-hooey when within the species its how they live? I dont think there´s anything wrong with having a deeper understanding of dogs and how they think,and being as I´ve seen that what Cesar does works (and in most cases imediately) then to me,he´s worth listening to ;)
His books and DVDs are fastinating and he trully does understand how dogs tick.He´s not doing any harm by telling people to understand that dogs are dogs and not babies or kids,and that once we understand this,we can be better owners :)
It´s not like he´s ever hurt a dog,infact,he´s been bitten hundreds of times yet there he is,forever helping people and their dogs...he´s rehabilited and found new homes for thousands of dogs that would have otherwise been put down.I think he´s fantastic :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
In packs of dogs,there is always an Alpha that the rest follow and respect,so why is the dominance bull-hooey when within the species its how they live?
Because respected scientists and veterinary medical professionals, like Dr. David Mech and Dr. Sophia Yin, say that the alpha theory and dominance are outdated and not a scientifically valid or safe method of animal training. But, hey, what do they know, they aren't as charismatic as a reality TV star.

I´ve seen that what Cesar does works (and in most cases imediately)
It causes shutdown, a dangerous state, to achieve these 'immediate' results.

It´s not like he´s ever hurt a dog
Yep, cause choking and back kicking doesn't hurt a dog.

·
Super Moderator
11,836 Posts
I would respectfully suggest that anyone who wants to review/rehash the Cesar Milan "controversy" please start by reading the dozens of previous threads and hundreds of previous posts. Just do a search for "Cesar" or "Dog Whisperer" and knock yourselves out.

Then, in a month-or-two, we'll all meet back here.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Not going to touch the Cesar debate, but here are some great links regarding dominance theory... the first is to one of the guys who helped popularize the alpha wolf idea. He knows now that he was wrong. The second is to one of the mostly highly-regarded behaviorists/trainers in the world. The third is the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior's position statement on dominance theory.

http://www.davemech.org/news.html
http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/misconceptions-mythical-alpha-dog
http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/images/stories/Position_Statements/dominance statement.pdf

Oh heck, have a good article discussing Cesar, too. :p

http://talentedanimals.com/blog/?p=664

And then have fun reading the hundreds and hundreds of posts about him scattered around DF. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,890 Posts
Well what the heck.... I don't think I have made a direct comment on Cesar in a couple of years.

Aside from his Stupid "alpha rolls" which are idiotic, not too much he does gives me great concern.

And one thing he does right... And say what you want but he is right about it. Is his calm assertive energy thing. He is dead on.

The old statement that "every emotion you feel goes right down the leash into the dog's head " is true. At least in theory. Dogs feed off their owners energy. They feed off the energy of other dogs in the household.

If an owner walks down the street with their dog on a leash, sees another dog being walked coming their way, and becomes apprehensive that their dog is going to be reactive and show aggression..... Well chances are the dog IS going to be reactive. Put that same dog with someone that could give two craps about the dog approaching and just keeps walking.... No tightening on a leash (preparing for a confrontation), no increase in heartbeat, ne apprehension..... And chances are good the dog is going to walk on by with more than a look. I have seen it time and time again.... Done it time and time again. My wife's Lab Buc, does it with the nasty dog down the street. But I can walk past that dog a hundred times.

The problem with dogs and owners is the dog does something whacked out ONE time.... And rather than fix it or ask for help right then and there.... The owner goes along... Next time a similar situation comes up, it is already in the owners head that the dog is going to wig out again..... They anticipate it, "prepare" for it, and fear it. They get embarrassed and don't know what to do. So they either get anxiety about those situations or avoid them completely. What started as a one time thing, or a stage in the dog's social development turns into a behavioral pattern and eventually a lifestyle. And the shame of it is, the dog never has a chance to learn. To develop the correct patterns of behavior.
Leash reactivity, resource guarding, assorted aggressive and pseudo aggressive behaviors, and other anti social patterns often start like this. (Not always...)

And these situations go on for years at times.... They never correct themselves. And most often by the time the owner finally reaches out for help, the dog has two feet in the euthanasia room. And if you look and listens to the cases on Cesar's show, 9 times out of 10, the owners are AFRAID of the dog. If not in personal fear of the dog harming them, in fear of what they know the dog is going to do in certain situations. You cannot accomplish anything with a dog you are afraid of.... Other than maybe getting bit or getting someone else bit.

He is not working with blank slate dogs. He is not doing puppy group class down at the YMCA.....

Another thing he does right..... Is he instills on the owners to let go of the past and move forward. It doesn't matter what our how the dog behaved in the past. For the dog to move forward the owner has to move forward as well.

And the last thing I like is when the dog exhibits the problem it has been having. He looks at it as a positive thing. And it is.... Because you cannot fix what you cannot make happen. Avoidance is not a solution.... They are thousands and thousands of dog owners out there that turn and walk the other way at the sight of a person approaching their way with a dog. Avoid this situation, that situation, etc. They are living their lives in circles.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts