Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nash and I seem to have conquered loose leash walking. He had/has a no pull harness on so he couldn't pull me down, but I never pulled the leash. I used a clicker and stopping when he started to pull on me. Today he did not need one reminder (ie: stopping) at all. He just walked on a loose leash the entire time. I've been keeping the walks short, about 15-20 minutes as I don't want to push my luck. For exercise we have been playing lots of fetch.

The first day I took him out back on a long line (about 15 feet) and stood in one spot. After a short while he came up to me to see why the heck I wasn't moving along with him. I clicked and gave him a treat (c/t) and sent him back out to sniff stuff. Within a few minutes he wouldn't leave me alone. We took a break and went back out later. Did the same thing, he caught on a lot quicker, so I took a step, c/t, we got up to 12 steps with him within a foot of me, so we ended there.

Second day we did the above again in the back yard on the first session and got about 20 steps and I was c/t every few steps. After a break we hit the road with a 6 foot leash. I stood in one spot and when he gave me attention I c/t. After about 30 seconds he was paying good attention so I took some steps and he did really well. I c/t when he was walking on a loose leash somewhat next to me. If he started to pull or go to far ahead or behind I just stopped moving. When he would give me he attention back I c/t and we continued to walk. We did about 10 minutes. Another session later we did about 15 minutes.

Third day we did the same as above but skipped the backyard step. We got about 15 minutes on the first session. The second session was also about 15 minutes. I did a lot less stopping. I was still c/t almost every 2-3 steps, sometimes every 4-5th.

Today (fourth day working on this) we got a good 15 minute walk in without me having to stop once due to him pulling or forging ahead. I was randomly c/t, sometimes every 2nd step, sometimes every 4th step, then 2 in a row, then every 6th step, then 3rd and so on. We also worked on him being on my left side instead of my right (for some reason he always wants to be on my right). I c/t more frequently when he was on my left and gave him a few jackpots while on my left. Towards the end of the walk he was choosing to be on my left much more often.

Nash has also grasped the concept of remaining seated or laying down quietly in his crate until I tell him he can come out. To do this I would simply stand back up and look at the ceiling until he calmed down and either sat or laid down. He got this very quickly. He also will sit until we release him to eat. For this I just picked up his food bowl every time he went to start eating if I didn't release him.

The next thing we are going to work on is not jumping on me when I let him out of the crate, and teaching down (he already knows sit).

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
What a great and helpful post this is for others!
Congratulations on all your progress..good work!:cool:

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks:) I plan to keep updating here with our (hopefully) progress. Another thing we are going to start working is not wanting to eat the kitties. We had a little lesson today already.

I was sitting at the counter in the kitchen and one of the cats jumped up on it (they aren't supposed, but . . . they are cats). Nash went nuts, he really wanted to eat her. So, I was munching on some non-salted cashews and we worked on ignoring the cat. Within 5 minutes he was doing a great job. He would occasionally glance at me out of frustration (he is always on leash inside). When he did I marked it (good! since I didn't have a clicker on me) and gave him a small piece of cashew. He quickly was glancing at the cat and then back at me. Then I upped the ante to him needing to be seated still and giving me eye contact. He got that quick. Then I held out for a few seconds and he laid down (he is already understanding to offer behaviors). I gave him some more tiny cashew pieces (he got a jack pot for that actually). I randomly gave him some little cashew pieces while he was lying down, looking at me, ignoring the cat. Then we went into the basement (it was down pouring outside) and played some fetch.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today we went to 2 different pet stores and worked on greeting people correctly (sitting instead of jumping) and loose leash walking. He did fairly well at not jumping on people. It would be easier if people could follow directions and ignore him when he goes to jump up, instead of continuing to give him attention. Towards the end though he was sitting way more often than jumping. When people asked to pet him I told them they could only if he was sitting. Most people actually did what I asked, but some would pet him even if he started to jump up. I made sure he didn't make body contact though by pulling him back a bit when he jumped up. I was afraid he would scratch someone.

He did really awesome on the loose leash walking. I did the same stuff as before, but on his regular leash (not a 15 foot). I stood still and when he gave me his attention I c/t and took a step or two. Every time he walked in position (somewhat next to me, no tension on leash, not to far ahead or behind) I c/t each step for awhile. Then went to a variable reinforcement shortly after. We even hit the dog food aisle briefly, which was hard for him, but he did really well! We also worked on a little on name recognition/response in the stores too. I said his name and c/t a few times, then I waited until he looked at me when I said his name before I c/t.

He is starting to be faster at sitting when he comes out of his crate, but I think that one will take awhile. I simply stand with my arms folded, staring at the ceiling until he sits. Then I c/t and become animated again, the second he starts to get up I go back to staring at the ceiling. I did notice he settled down quicker the last couple of times I let him out of his crate. I am doing the same for getting his collar and harness on. If he starts to get up or wiggle I stand up and stare at the ceiling. When he sits still, I start putting the collar (or harness) on him again.

We also had a few more lesson with the cats, basically the same as before.

Another new thing we did today was get introduced to the bike. I ride a bike with Allie and Lloyd and want to use it to exercise Nash as well. We started off with just letting him sniff it, I c/t when he showed interest in the bike. We did that for just a few minutes. Then, at a later time, I did that again for like 30 seconds and moved to walking the bike a bit and feeding him treats while he walked along. We did that for a few minutes. Then, again a bit later, I hooked him up to the walky dog (now called jogger dog I think) attachment and gave him tons of treats and we walked the bike a few steps. That was really quick, like 2 minutes max. We did lots of short little sessions today, walking with the bike, with the bike and actually got up to me riding it really quick with him. He was excited and wanted to RUN, but we, as a team, are not ready. He still needs to learn to "ease up" (slow down), "hup" (stop), "watch it" (check your position to the bike) and the signals for turning left and right.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Wow! Congratulations, I love when dogs are so in-tune with their humans that they understand that making a fuss isn't getting them anywhere!

Some people are air-headed (putting it nicely.) I had a woman bend down to pet Donatello today at the DP, and she was in her 30's, I told her to "go slow" he's shy of strangers... Did she? NO! Luckily Donatello wasn't surrounded, backed in a corner, or on a leash, he just skedaddled! I can't blame him, then she had the audacity to ask me, "What did I do?" I just looked at her. -.- "Your hand darted in his face, like you were going to smack him." Like an idiot she responded, "That doesn't bother other dogs." I scoffed, "Donatello isn't like other dogs. He's smarter and has a better memory than most- Meaning all the beatings he got the first two, three years of his life are fresh in his mind..." She just stood there gaping at me as if she couldn't believe what I was saying... People!

You're doing a wonderful job, wanna come help me with Donatello? ; ) lol! JK!

Keep us updated...

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks deege. We are working on the nut jumping/running around like crazy to get attention thing. He is much better, but he still does it. When I let him out of his crate he usually jumps into the air, trying to lick my face (seems to be a classic gsd move, lots I know do that) and does a quick excited run thing. Its getting quicker though that he sits. I may start to lure the behavior though because its really annoying me, lol. I think I am going to be armed with some lunch meat and lure him into sitting in front of me as he is coming out of the crate. He is super food motivated, so I'm sure that will work. I am just trying to do as much as I can where he figures out what I want, rather than me luring him into things.

Jumping on other people is much better. He does it once in awhile still, but for the most part he is automatically sitting now when new people greet him. I've been taking him a lot to a petsmart nearby and the staff all now know I am working on training him and they have been really helpful. We go and work on attention and loose leash walking and they will periodically come up to him, if he sits they give him a treat, if he doesn't they just walk away. That has been super helpful.

With the bike we have run into some little issues. He was nipping at my legs. What I have been doing is just stopping completely when he goes to do it. He is still hooked up via the walky dog so he can't quite reach, but he is trying. He only tried it once today though, so he is already getting that doing that stops the fun. I also think I need to go back to basic ground work of walking next to the bike because I would really like to not have to use the walky dog eventually. I tried seeing if he would stay in position without it today and he didn't, so we need to do more work with that.. Its hard though to walk the bike along and give him treats at the same time for being in position. He is however starting to understand "ease up" (slow down) and "hup" (stop). We have been practicing on and off the bike with those two.

His loose leash walking is great. Once in awhile he will still start to forge ahead or pull, but 90% of the time he is walking somewhat next to me with a nice loose leash. We have been doing 30 minute walks with little to no stopping (when he pulls I stop moving).

He is now responding well to his name everywhere. In the house, outside, down the street, in stores, at my parents house.

He is offering eye contact a lot. I did this by holding a treat out to the side and waiting until he glanced at my face. When he did I c/t. I can now hold to treats out on either side of my face and he will stare into my eyes. I also randomly c/t when he just offers eye contact when we are just hanging out around the house or out at stores. I feel like its a good way to get him to "check in" with me frequently.

We are still working on down. I had started luring it, and he will lie down if I start moving my hand towards the ground. I would like to try capturing it though, as I said earlier I want to do as little luring as possible. I think shaping a down would be very difficult, so capturing it might be the easiest way.

He is improving with the cats. He still chases them sometimes, but if I say his name when he starts he then runs to me instead. I have seen him a few times just lay down and watch them instead of chasing them. He gets rewarded heavily when he does that.

We are going to keep working on all the above, and also start with "leave it" and "all done" (stop playing). Him and Lloyd are playing all the time and it gets kind of annoying!

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Nash has learned "down" and "leave it". To teach down I decided to shape it. He actually got it really quickly this way and I thought it would be more difficult. I got the clicker and treats out (he gets super excited when he sees the clicker now, lol). He sat in front of me and stared at me, I waited. After a few seconds he looked down at the floor, I c/t that. He offered that behavior a few more times and I c/t it a few more times. Then I waited, he offered the looking at the floor two more times and I did nothing. Then he lowered his head farther to the floor (yay!) so I c/t that a few times. Then I wait, he offered the more lowered head and I did nothing. Then he started lowering to the floor a bit, bent his elbows a little bit. He got a click and jackpot for that and a ball tosses and took a 15 minute break. Then we went back to work, I quick did all the steps above again as a recap (just c/t once each one) when he started to bend his elbows the second time I waited, and he started to lay down HOORAY! I c/t as his half way down a few times, even though he is going all the way down I wanted to reward the different steps of laying down. Then I c/t just before he hits the ground a few times, then I c/t when his chest is on the ground and toss the ball a couple of times too. Now he is offering me downs like crazy so as he starts lowering towards the ground I started to say "down" and c/t when his chest hit the ground. I did that 6 or 7 times and we took a break for awhile. When we went back to work I again did all the steps quick (just c/t each step once). Then I started adding the command again when he started going down, c/ting when he was actually in a down. Did that another half a dozen times. Then I tried saying down before he did anything. He went down!!! I c/t and toss the ball and then ask him again, and he did it again! Then we did the above all over again, but quicker, in another room, and then later again outside. Next I want to do it from a stand, he was always doing it from a sit (I didn't put him in a sit, he just sat on his own).

He also learned leave it. To start I held a treat in my closed fist. He licked and nosed at it for a little bit and then gave up and sat back, I c/t that. We did that a few times until he wasn't even trying to pry my hand open. Then I did it with my hand open, a treat on my palm. When he went to get it I closed my hand. When he stopped going for it when I opened my hand up I c/t. Did that until he just stopped going for it. Then we did it on the floor. When he went for the treat, i would cover it with my hand. When he didn't go for it when my hand was off it, I c/t'ed it and tossed the ball a few times. Then we did it several more times. Then when he was offereing it 100% of the time when I put a treat on the floor I told him "leave it" as I sat the treat on the floor. He didn't go for it, so I c/t. We did that several times. Took a break. Second session we did the all the steps from the beginning again quickly and progressed on to me telling him leave it while I put 2 treats on the floor. He did great and left them. After a few times of that, I put a treat on his paw and said leave it, he didn't touch it. He got a jackpot for that and some ball throwing. We took a breakt and did all the steps again quick. Next we will work on it with other things than just treats.

One thing we are still working on is not jumping up and licking my face. He is doing great now with not jumping on other people (90% of the time now he sits when people aproach him). But with me, he still jumps up and licks me. I think this behavior is just very rewarding for him. I have been doing the stand still and look up until he sits, but I don't think it will be enough in this situation. So, I think I have decided to put the behavior on cue and actually use it as a reward for other behaviors.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Wow! You're doing fabulous! "Down" and "leave it"... Wow! That's fantastic and superb.

What other tricks/behaviors to train do you have on your list?

I wish Donatello was that gung-ho about training/learning... -.- He's a stick in the mud half the time. We're still working out his kinks first before we start doing any hardcore training.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Great thread! Please continue to update!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Great thread! Do keep posting - I'm learning so much. I've read a lot of advice on training, worked with trainers, tried a lot of things, but the detail offered here surpasses it. I'm also realizing that I am in no way ready for another dog and the extra commitment it will take to work him/her into our lives - we just have too much going on right now. So that's the best lesson learned of all.

Sounds like Lloyd and Nash are getting along. What about Allie?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Wow! You're doing fabulous! "Down" and "leave it"... Wow! That's fantastic and superb.

What other tricks/behaviors to train do you have on your list?

I wish Donatello was that gung-ho about training/learning... -.- He's a stick in the mud half the time. We're still working out his kinks first before we start doing any hardcore training.
Thanks, I actually feel like we are behind where I would prefer to be, but I've been so busy I don't have a lot of time, so we just do little sessions here and there. When we got Lloyd and then Allie I was able to take a week off each time, but I couldn't this time. Allie isn't into training that much, I did a lot more behavioral mod stuff with her (so I could walk her without her flipping out at everything). She isn't really into learning new stuff that much because she gets nervous when she doesn't know what I want from her. I was still able to teach her basic obedience though (sit, down, come, heel with attention, loose leash walking, flip finish, finish right, sit stay, down stay, stand and so on). Knowing all that stuff actually built her confidence up a lot. When she starts to get nervous I can give her something to do and it makes her feel better.

I have a ton more on the list for Nash. My intention is to compete with him in obedience, agility and possibly herding. He needs to learn to sit square in front of me, flip finish, finish right, heel with attention and that goes with that (position, eye contact, turns), sit stay, down stay and both out of sight, send aways, recalls over jumps, retrieves (over jumps too), stand for exam, um . . . all the agility equipment, how to handle off my left and right side and tons more, lol. I am also going to teach him a bunch of tricks too, since he enjoys learning:)

Great thread! Please continue to update!
Thanks:) I'm glad to know people are reading it, I didn't think anyone would.

I'm trying to train him without corrections, I've slipped up a couple of times out of habit, but I've been good mostly. I have been trained to train the traditional way, so this is a challenge for me!

Great thread! Do keep posting - I'm learning so much. I've read a lot of advice on training, worked with trainers, tried a lot of things, but the detail offered here surpasses it. I'm also realizing that I am in no way ready for another dog and the extra commitment it will take to work him/her into our lives - we just have too much going on right now. So that's the best lesson learned of all.

Sounds like Lloyd and Nash are getting along. What about Allie?
It is a lot of work getting Nash meshed into our lives. I don't think I remembered how much work it is. Its also more because he knew nothing, his foster had taught him sit, but he wasn't 100% on it. He still has trouble getting up the stairs, he stumbles up them, but he is figuring it out. I wish I could have taken a week off when I got him like I did with Lloyd and Allie, but all well.

Allie has come around. She still gets mad at him sometimes, he always wants to play and she doesn't. She has been playing with him a little bit the last few days. She got a dental cleaning done this past tuesday and since then she has been in a great mood. I think she is happy we didn't leave her there, lol. Nash is learning to back down when she gives a warning, which is good. They had one semi big fight, Nash ended up with some scrapes, but now Nash backs down when she tells him too. Lloyd is still being possessive over his toys, he did the same thing when we got Allie. It will pass as he gets more comfortable with Nash (and some strict NILIF from us).

I decided to make a list of what I want to teach Nash. Lloyd already does pretty much all of this.

Recall, formal and non formal
Front (sit straight in front of me)
Finish left (flip)
Finish right (around)
Heel (with attention)
Target (a sticky note)
Touch (target my hand with his nose)X
Send away (away!)
Sit X`
Down X
down on recall
down on send away
sit on recall
sit on send away
Stand for exam (stand)
Work on not mouthing while being handled
Jumps (over) X
Formal retrieve
Formal retrieve over jumps
Stop chasing the cats
Turn around and face me whenever we go through a doorwayX
Stay X (up to 10 minutes in sight as of 6/19/09)
Red! (stop moving and stay in whatever position you stopped in, fun game)
Green! (keep moving, fun game)
Take a bow
All done (stop playing and relax somewhere)
To be ok with us leaving
To be quiet even when excited
All agility equipment
To follow where my shoulders are point to know where to go
Out of sight stays (in down and sit) X (up to 1 minute as of 6/19/09)
Stand on motion (heeling around, and then telling him to stand and I keep moving)
Sit on motion
down on motion
to climb up the stairs without falling X
What is and is not a dog toy
To not lick my face
Hand motions for sit, down, stay, come, stand
Directed jumping
Not to jump over things just because he wants to (like baby gates, through windows)

I will add more as I think of them.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We worked on looking at my face while sitting at my left side yesterday. I had him sit on my left side up against a wall (so he wouldn't get in the habit of sitting crooked). When he looked at my face I c/t. We did that for about 30 seconds a few times yesterday. Today I may try taking a step and seeing if he will keep looking at my face and walk next to me.

We also did some on "leave it" with other things than just treats. I use a small toy that could fit in my hand. We did it from the beginning again because it was a new object. He caught on very quickly though this time. I will do it with a few more things in the house and then we will go out to other places to practice.

We did more work with the cats. He will ignore them now if they are just sitting in one place, so now we need to work on when they are moving. He isn't chasing them all the time now when they are moving, which is good. He usually hesitates slightly before he goes to chase them. I think my plan is to click at that hesitation and I am pretty sure he is so conditioned to the click now that he will look for his reward.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Nice. Thanks for the tip about keeping him against the wall for the one session. A trainer told us to do that a couple of years ago but I'd forgotten it. Think I'll try it to get Poca to focus on me again and stay in position. She's slipping and tends to be real sloppy about where her feet are because I can't seem to communicate what I want well enough.

That's a great "to do" list, too. Makes me a little tired, I must confess! Would be great to check things off as you go, though. I've read about keeping a training diary but am too lazy to do it. I could do a list, though...

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, actually making that list kinda made me tired too! Lots to do there!!! It will come in time. We didn't really work on anything new today because I am not feeling very well. He went to work with me, so he is nice and tired, passed out in his crate:)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Been a little bit since I've updated here.

Nash knows to sit, down, stay and does out of sight stays for a minute so far. In sight he has done it for 10 minutes.

To teach stay I just waited until he was holding still, in what ever position he was in, and c/t after 1 second, then 2 seconds, then 3 seconds, then 1 second, then 5 seconds, then 3 seconds, then 7 seconds, then 2 seconds, then 6 seconds, then 10 seconds, then 2 seconds. And so on until he would offer the behavior of staying in one spot/position for a full minute. We did this over several short sessions in a day. After he was offering that for a full minute I added the cue "stay". Then I just kept c/t for various lengths of times. We did this in a few rooms in the house.

Once we got up to 10 minutes in the house (they was my goal) I decided to work with distractions next before distance. I had someone walk past him, as they were walking past him I c/t for him not moving. I made sure to c/t just as they were about to walk past so he didn't really have a chance to get up. We did that distraction a few times. Then I had them walk closer to him, then in a circle around him, then jump up and down. Always c/t just as they entered and then if it was a little bit longer one I kept feeding him treats for staying there. Then I took a piece of cheese, told him to stay and threw it, I c/t just as I threw it which caused him to look at me and stay in position. He got a jack pot for that. Then I threw it different ways, over top of him, threw a few pieces. When he started looking back at me as I threw something or any distraction started I added the stay command. Then we worked on distractions in different rooms.

Then we worked on distance. I walked 1 step way, c/t, then 2, ct/, then 3 c/t, then 6 ct/, then 2 ct/, then 9 c/t and so on until I was 20 steps away. Then I again added the stay cue. We worked up to me being across the room quickly, in 2 short sessions. Then I started taking a step out of the room, c/t (always walking back to him to feed him the treat).

Next I combined distance and time. I took a few steps away, and waited for 5 seconds, c/t. Then at just a few steps I ping ponged around with lengths of time until he was at a full minute at a few steps (this went very quicky, within a few minutes he got up to a full minute). Then I would add on a few more steps and do the same, then a few more, until we got to across the room. Then I went in closer again (to probably about 6 steps away from him) and worked on a little bit longer time. I stayed at that distance until we were up to 3 minutes, then I increased the distance again and worked our way back up to 3 minutes. We continued on that way until I could be across the room for 3 minutes. Then I went in closer again and worked our time up to 5 minutes, and worked the distance in at 5 minutes. And we continued to progress until I could be across the room for 10 minutes.

Then I went out of sight for 5 seconds, c/t. And we worked our time up out of sight by ping ponging the time around (5 seconds, then 2, then 6, then 1, then 9, then 4, then 1, then 2, then 15, then 8 . . .) until we had a one minute out of sight stay. We will work this up to 10 minutes eventually.

Once we could do a 10 minute in sight stay and a 1 minute out of sight stay in every room of the house we went to the back yard (on a long line) and did all of the above again. Then we did it in the front yard. Then down the street. Then at my parents house and places around their house. Then we went to a petstore and worked on stays.

I went very slow with stay as I want it to be a very solid command.

We just did a combo downstay/look at the kitty impromptu session. I was eating some sun chips in bed, told Nash to lay down next me (but on the floor). Gave him a chip. Snickers (cat) walks into the room, Nash looks at her . . . but does NOT move!!! So, I say good! and give him a piece of sun chip. Snickers continues to walk in and out of the room (well, I kept telling her to) and Nash remained in his downstay and kept offering looking at the cat. We did that over and over for like 15 minutes! Good boy!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Another good post - thanks! Am off to see if there's a way to print or save to file without cutting and pasting each post....

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We worked some more on heel. We had been doing a few sessions here and there, where he is on my left side, up against a wall so he can't sit crooked, and I c/t for looking at my face. We did the above for a few seconds, and then I took a step forward and waited. He moved up to sitting next to me (still against the wall) and looked at my face, c/t with a jackpot. We did it a couple more times and after just those couple of times he was moving with me when I took the step. We took a break and did that a few more times, sometimes I took one step, sometimes 8, sometimes 4. We did up to 10 steps. We did really, really short sessions. Next time I will start working on position without the wall, see if he can figure it out on his own.

We have also been doing a lot of work with "wait" so he won't jump over things or go through doorways without my permission. As I was walking through a doorway, he hesitated and I marked and rewarded that (I think he saw a cat or something across the room). That was just a great occurance. I used "good" because I didn't have the clicker on me. I did that a couple more times and he was hesitating at the doorway on purpose. I went and grabbed the clicker and we worked more. I simply worked the hesitation up to him not going through the doorway. After he was obviously hesitating on purpose I stopped c/ting that and after a couple of times he hesitated a bit longer, so I c/t that a few times and just kept increasing the amount of time. It very quickly went from a hesitation to him waiting. Then we took a break. We did the above again the next session, very quickly. Then we went to other doorways and did the same. When he was offering the behavior at every doorway I went through I added the wait command. Now he waits at doorways without me even saying it, and I invite him through. However, I can now say wait if I don't want him to go through and he does. We are working on it with baby gates too, so he doesn't jump over them to follow me. We have been doing short times with me still in his sight so far. I simply walk through it, tell him to wait. When he does I c/t, sometimes I c/t after 1 second, sometimes 10, 4, 15, 9, 20, 14, 30, 25 . . . and so on. He will do it up to a few minutes at least (possibly longer but we haven't worked on that yet). Then I added some distance, where I tell him to wait, take a few steps away from the gate, c/t. Then 6 steps, then 3, then 8, then 5 then 10 . . . I can get a food 40 steps away. Next I will combine distance and time and continue to work both those up. And, we need to work with me out of sight still.

Normally I teach the wait command simply by stepping towards them as they are about to come through the doorway, but the oppurtunity arose to teach it a different way, so I did.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The plan is to compete with him in obedience and agility. I'm also looking into doing search and rescue with him and possibily herding.

Training is going well:) He is a quick learning and enjoys it. Its going to take some time before we can really start training for competition. We need to be able to live peacefully with him firt, lol. He came with very, very few manners! He is getting there though.

Nash learned to go on the A-frame and dog walk. I gave them a bath at work, and let them run around the training room for a bit. Lloyd was running over the agility equipment and Nash followed him. So, I decided to start teaching Nash the proper way to go up and over them. I just put treats down at the contact points so he would go on it at the right spot and off it at the right spot. The A-frame he did with no problem. The dog walk I helped him. I didn't want him to fall off of it, so I held onto his collar and had my arm around him to help guide him. After a few times he started to realize it was narrow and he needed to pay attention to where his feet where. We stopped after a good walk over it and played some ball.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'd start him on heeling, attention, retrieves, go outs, fronts and finishes etc right now while he's soaking it all in.

Good luck

1 - 20 of 30 Posts