Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nash had his "new pet" vet visit this morning. Lets see, where to start . . .

He has a mild case of giardia, which is why we have been having problems with diarrhea. He needs to have his belly button fixed. I always thought it looked weird, she says it needs to be closed up or something along those lines. Its very big. When he goes under for that she recommends we x-ray is front left wrist. He has some scars on it and she said it doesn't feel like it has full range of motion and it "clicked". So, he probably injured it at some point.

So, we have medicine for the giardia, as well as something to treat whip worms. She suspects he has whip worms even though she didn't see eggs because he is itchy but doesn't have fleas. She said sometimes if they only have a light load of them or all of one gender you won't see the eggs in a fecal. She also wants us to use revolution on him for 2 months then we can switch back to using K9 advantix; in case he has scabies and that is why he is itching. She said it would be easier to just do that than take a skin scraping. Once all that is taken care of, if he is still having diarrhea/loose stools and itching then we are going to try a different food with an odd protein source and see if there is a food allergy.

In a couple of months we will have his belly button fixed up and have his wrist x-rayed. We will probably have his teeth cleaned then too, just because he will already be under. She also recommended he get vaccinated for lepto since we do so much outside, but not until he is better from the giardia/whip worms.

We will be getting Allie and Lloyd checked for giardia too, although they haven't shown any signs.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My pug Billy had giardia when I got him too. He didn't really have loose stools, but when she did the fecal, the vet noticed it along with another parasite (can't remember the name but it is one that they can get from their mother's milk).

I had some stuff to sprinkle on his food and some other custard like stuff to feed him in a syringe (he loved it, but wasn't sure about the sprinkly stuff but he did eat it).

I am not sure if it is because of the giardia or what, but he seems to have a sensitive stomach, meaning it takes very little for his stool to loosen up.

·
Registered
184 Posts
my pup has scabies right now and going for shot treatments at her vet. the kind she has is contagious. i am going to the doctor after work to see if i have it. i sure hope not. but i am quite itchy. it makes me feel like a dirty person. :(

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of work! Poor Nash. : ( I wish him a speedy recovery of the "whip-worms", and I hope his belly-button heals nicely. ; )

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. The rescue might actually pay for the belly button fixing. That would be really nice if they did.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yay, good news, the rescue is going to fix his belly button for us once his giardia is all cleared up:) They said the vet should have fixed it when he was neutered so they will take care of it for us! That is so awesome of them. We are bringing a fecal into the vet tomorrow to check up on the giardia situation. Hopefully it is gone. *crossing fingers* Then we are going to do another fecal check in another week and if its still clear then we will be setting up a surgery date with the rescue's vet to fix his belly button.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts