Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my husky developed a lump on his nose back in Feb this year and the vet diagnosed a tumour following an x-ray. We never went through with a cat Xsan due to the cost as he’s not insured. It has steadily gotten worse over the months and is now at an awful stage. We still aren’t 100% sure if it is cancerous or not but just wanted to find out if anyone else has experienced this with their dog? I’m having to bathe it multiple times a day due to lots of discharge. Yesterday was the worst I had seen it and I feel his end near now. He has lost lots of weight too. Can anyone offer any advice please? I apologise if the pic upsets anyone. TIA xx
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He’s under the vet. Took him on Thurs expecting him to be put to sleep as he’s also got a torn cruciate ligament in his back leg. The vet thought he wasn’t too bad and prescribed stronger painkillers (pardale) that have made him worse. He’s been sick all over the weekend and it hasn’t helped with his walking. We are booked in again tonight but I’m at my whits end knowing what to do now? He lies in his bed all day and has become withdrawn. The vet made me question myself on Thurs and I’m a bit lost with it all x
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
625 Posts
Sorry about your dog's condition.

You should prepare yourself for a hard decision.

Is the quality of the dog's life good?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
304 Posts
If this is not cureable or treatable in any other way you do need to take charge and do whats best for your dog.. that is no way to live..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,686 Posts
I'd have a frank discussion with your vet, including what they'd do if they were in your position (including being unable to afford further treatment). Some people say that you should list your dog's five favorite things, and when they can no longer do three or more, you should seriously consider euthanasia. With the behavior you're describing, concerns about effectively managing the pain, and the likelihood that this will only get worse, I feel like I'd be wanting to end his suffering if he were mine. It honestly sounds like his quality of life is no longer there.

Poor guy. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this, and whatever you decide it won't be easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you and yes his quality of life has deteriorated. He hasn’t been for a walk in ages because of his leg, he lies in his bed all day and isn’t really interested in fuss. He was still eating up until Saturday but not sure if that was these new tablets changing that. There is no cure for his tumours other than taking half his face away costing many thousands which I don’t have. Just very sad x
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
625 Posts
Sorry, I don't mean to sound cold-hearted.

It appears the time is near to ease the dog's pain with the hard decision to euthanize.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If this is not cureable or treatable in any other way you do need to take charge and do whats best for your dog.. that is no way to live..
The tumour isn’t curable and I can’t afford to pay for another leg op? His other leg was the same 2yrs ago. It’s been a case of seeing how he goes and treating it with painkillers but it’s just knowing when enough is enough xx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,635 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top