Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a pet owner I would LOVE to use a groomer that has a web cam so that I could watch my dog get groomed and bathed.

Nanny cams are becoming the norm for daycare. I am surprised that grooming shops have not started doing this!

As a groomer how would you feel about a web cam for owners to watch the grooming process?

As a grooming customer, would this give you an additional feeling of security knowing that you could "drop in" on the process to see your dog, or just how your groomer interacts with dogs?

·
Registered
750 Posts
I incist to be there either watching or in the waiting whenever they are going to groom my dog... i do this since the time i had apollo groomed, and when he came back he had a strong fear of my mothers/sisters hair dryers... so yeah...

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
The groomer I go to every once in a while has an area of the shop where you can sit out of view of the dogs and read magazines or whatever. All I need to do to check up on her is to stand up and peek around the wall. It works well, and I appreciate it a lot.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Where I work it is very open and I welcome the people to peak through the window to see how their dog is doing. Some dogs act up when mom or dad is there and behave better when they're not so I prefer if someone isn't standing there watching. Also I need to concentrate so having someone talk to me or the dog would be distracting.

As for the nanny cam, I wouldn't feel comfortable. Just that feeling of someone watching me through a camera would kind of creep me out. I have nothing at all to hide and I treat all dogs well, just having a camera on me is a little bit big brothery.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where I work it is very open and I welcome the people to peak through the window to see how their dog is doing. Some dogs act up when mom or dad is there and behave better when they're not so I prefer if someone isn't standing there watching. Also I need to concentrate so having someone talk to me or the dog would be distracting.

As for the nanny cam, I wouldn't feel comfortable. Just that feeling of someone watching me through a camera would kind of creep me out. I have nothing at all to hide and I treat all dogs well, just having a camera on me is a little bit big brothery.
I can understand that, I am not sure if I would really like being watched. ( Although now days most business do it if you know or not.) Hey maybe have one station that is a web cam station...and that groom is an extra 5 bucks. LOL

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I was actually thinking about this the other day.
I would be more inclined to use a groomer that had some sort of "nanny cam" set up. I mean, I always want to be able to check in on my dogs, but I don't want to be a distraction from the groomer.
I do think it should be protected so that not just anyone can access it on a website (maybe that is standard protocol for "nanny cams" any way, I'm not sure).

·
Registered
703 Posts
wouldn't be a bad idea, but at the same time, most of us work in shops where there are windows for people to look in. and sometimes those people look in and see a dog freaking out and think we're hurting it. when...i'm not even doing anything.

we use to have this one dog that would come in and SCREAM at the top of his lungs. you could hear him all the way through the whole store. he would sit on the table and scream and scream and scream even if you didn't even have your hands on him.

i think if it were there, people would think they're seeing abuse/roughness when in fact, i'm not doing anything to hurt the dog--the dog is just over reacting.

does that make sense?

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I guess I can see both sides of that. I mean, if a groomer has to have a camera on them all the time and a day care teacher does, what about at your job? Should we all be watched? BIG BROTHER is watching you. Kind of creepy.

That said, I kind of wish I could have watched the one and only time my Oliver was at the groomer. He went in without a scratch and came out with a gash on the inside of his thigh. A long gash. He also got a staph infection that cost a fortune to finally get rid of and was a pain in the but because it kept coming back. I wonder what in the world happened to him. He just got a bath. NO need for cutting his hair or anything so what the heck happened to him?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I can understand the thought from pet owners to have a camera on so they can see their pets. But then I think the camera things have already gone too far..Would you want a camera on at your vets office so you can see them pull blood, etc.? I don't want to see it. Many things a groomer does can be misinterpreted by someone without the knowledge of grooming. To many brushing can look harsh, many dogs scream for nails, hair in ears, and some scream just to scream. Really, if you don't feel comfortable leaving your dog to be groomed somewhere, then you need to find another groomer, or groom your pet at home. I am find with clients staying and watching me groom their pets..but I am not putting in a camera so I can be watched all day. That is just too far for me.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I guess I can see both sides of that. I mean, if a groomer has to have a camera on them all the time and a day care teacher does, what about at your job? Should we all be watched? BIG BROTHER is watching you. Kind of creepy.

That said, I kind of wish I could have watched the one and only time my Oliver was at the groomer. He went in without a scratch and came out with a gash on the inside of his thigh. A long gash. He also got a staph infection that cost a fortune to finally get rid of and was a pain in the but because it kept coming back. I wonder what in the world happened to him. He just got a bath. NO need for cutting his hair or anything so what the heck happened to him?
Ugh, what a shame... my skin crawls every time I hear one these stories... I never understand why this happens so much... I have had so very few, and so very minor accidents at my place and there is a good and honest explanation to the owner every time.... no "mysteries".... dog dropped for a bath, returns with a gash... HOW does this happen??? I cannot picture it!!??

Surely they gave you some kind of guess? There was no explanation??

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

I would assume that the gash didn't need stitches? If so, it was most likely a scrape from him stepping off the table. Many large (and small) dogs do that, especially if they aren't groomed often, starting young. Its very difficult to keep a large dog that is stepping all over the place on the table still, and well, you can't be on both sides of the table at once. Sometimes they step off with a back leg, and the thigh slides on the edge of the table, causing a red mark or scrape. It happens, but the groomer should have told you and should have seen it. The good thing is the dogs usually learn where the boundaries are on the table after stepping off with a foot, and tend to stay more still after that.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I would assume that the gash didn't need stitches? If so, it was most likely a scrape from him stepping off the table. Many large (and small) dogs do that, especially if they aren't groomed often, starting young. Its very difficult to keep a large dog that is stepping all over the place on the table still, and well, you can't be on both sides of the table at once. Sometimes they step off with a back leg, and the thigh slides on the edge of the table, causing a red mark or scrape. It happens, but the groomer should have told you and should have seen it. The good thing is the dogs usually learn where the boundaries are on the table after stepping off with a foot, and tend to stay more still after that.
Actually it did and it also needed ongoing attention from my vet as it kept causing issues. The fact that the groomer said nothing is what annoyed me the most. The fact that dogs fall off the table as a common thing while they have their neck in a noose simply strengthens my resolve to ALWAYS groom my dogs myself. I just thought it might be a good experience for the dog. Turns out, I was wrong.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Actually it did and it also needed ongoing attention from my vet as it kept causing issues. The fact that the groomer said nothing is what annoyed me the most. The fact that dogs fall off the table as a common thing while they have their neck in a noose simply strengthens my resolve to ALWAYS groom my dogs myself. I just thought it might be a good experience for the dog. Turns out, I was wrong.
The groomer should certainly have called you immediately, and they had to notice because if there were stitches needed, then there was most certainly alot of blood. I hope that they paid the vet bills, and that you threw a fit about that. Should never have happened.

Dogs new to grooming (especially large dogs) will sometimes step off the table with a rear leg. I wouldn't call it routine, and its not FALLING off the table. They step/slide off with a back leg, then pull it back up on the table. The purpose of the grooming loop (why they have been called "nooses" for so long is beyond me..they aren't choker type like a noose, they are a loop.) is to actually KEEP them on the table when things like that happen. It gives the groomer a chance to grab them and straighten their rear end back up on the table. Without the loops, the dog would hit the floor, and do much more damage to itself. Very few dogs even get a red mark or scrape on their leg from it, as most table edges are rounded and smooth. Again, all the more reason why I so strongly urge pet owners to get their dogs groomed when they are young..not to wait til they are 50 plus pounds of anxiety.

I am sorry to hear about what happened to your dog. Should never have happened, and they certainly should have called you immediately.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I understand that Graco22 and I also understand that not all groomers are treated equal. I know a gal that grooms out of her home and she is wonderful. I have no doubt at all that is would NOT have happened had she done the grooming. My vet was more upset about it then I was. I guess maybe I should have raised a bit more cain but quite frankly it takes a lot to get me too crazy. My dog wasn't full grown when he went in, and he was about the calmest pup you could imagine. I guess that is why it makes me wonder, what really happened? It happened at a Petsmart and I wouldn't go back to that place for grooming, ever.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
I made the mistake of taking Butch to PetsMart to be bathed only. He went in fine, came out with a cut, limping and a bruise. I was not happy and DID make a stink. They paid my vet bills and I don't use them, although I am friendly with the manager. They did not admit to anything...if they had, I wouldn't have been so upset. I found a better one at the same price. And if I wanted, I could look in and see what they are doing. I wouldn't tho because I know it can be a distraction for the dog and groomer. I trust these people (they don't advertise...word of mouth only) and recommended them to someone here on DF.

Cameras...nah.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I know it happens, and all too often. But as a professional groomer, I just don't see how a groomer can hand someone's dog back to them injured, and act like they have no clue what happened, or take the fault for it. Its just unfathomable to me what goes thru that "groomer's" mind at that time..Even when all precautions are taken, sometimes an accident still happens, and when it does, the owner needs to be made aware of it, and vet bills (if necessary) need to be covered, apologies made,and steps made to ensure it doesn't happen again to another pet, etc. I just don't get it, but I know it happens too often. :(

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Gracco: I agree 100%. If they had told me Butch got skittish or he and Roxxy had a tussle in the cage, it would have been one thing. But this "I dunno" attitude really ticked me off...and I'm being polite on here. Own up to the mistake...tell me before I get the dog...don't HIDE it from me.

That's why I mentioned I had found a wonderful groomer...I know they aren't all bad. So if anyone in SW Houston needs a good groomer...I got one fer ya! ;)

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
In Oliver's case, I can't even guess what could have happened to him. How do you get an injury like that just getting a bath? What about a staph infection? Do groomers sanitize their equipment between dogs, like hair dressers? I have given a whole lot of dog baths at my house and I just don't see what could have happened.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
That was my question, Inga, you must have missed my post?

They offered you NO explanation? They just shrugged their shoulders..."Gee, how did that happen?" No clue? I can't imagine it.

While I have a dog in my care, unless they are safely in a kennel, my eyes are on them at all times, if my eye has to wander for a moment, then my hands are on them. This is why I just cannot understand how these things happen without explanation.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
That was my question, Inga, you must have missed my post?

They offered you NO explanation? They just shrugged their shoulders..."Gee, how did that happen?" No clue? I can't imagine it.

While I have a dog in my care, unless they are safely in a kennel, my eyes are on them at all times, if my eye has to wander for a moment, then my hands are on them. This is why I just cannot understand how these things happen without explanation.
Oh sorry, No, they claimed they hadn't seen it. I will be honest and say I didn't see it right when he walked out either. He stopped and licked his back leg when I first picked him up, again when I went to the cashier at the front of the store to buy some treats and again all the way home. I got home and looked to see what he was licking and I called them asap. They claimed they didn't see anything and that nothing happened but the woman hesitated and acted funny. I brought him back in and showed the lady too. (After the vet) Denial was the word of the day.

The manager of the store was very nice and I have always thought she was very nice. She has always been great to all of my dogs and knows them by name. She offered a free service but I declined. I wouldn't put him through, what ever DID happen there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts