Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question that I'm hoping someone can answer.

After a dog gets the CGC title, does that become part of their name? Like when you're filling out a registration form for daycare, the vet, etc... would you put Spot, CGC or just Spot?

What are you supposed to do with the title? Just hang up the certificate or something?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
It's a certificate, not a title, so it technically won't appear on official AKC paperwork. You can put it after their name on paperwork, but I don't know why you would.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It's not an official title, so it won't officially become part of the dog's name. That doesn't mean that most people won't tack it on there anyway, of course - I know I always do! Not on vet records or classes or anything, but on my website they have their CGCs and TDIs mentioned.

We frame the certificates and put them up on the dog wall. We also have their 12" long CGC rosettes framed and on the wall too.

A CGC is definitely something to be proud of. :)

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
In this area, some vets and groomers give discounts for dogs that have titles or their CGC....you usually have to ask though.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Never saw it on vet documents and stuff like that, but most owners usually list the CGC in things like their forum signature, website, etc along with the dog's titles. Same with the temperament test TT. Don't know how much that helps you.

I think it would definitely be good to mention for things like insurance documents, dog boarding, etc.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I didn't know there was a difference between title and certificate, I thought they were the same thing. oops. I know that you get a certificate though, I'm waiting for my dogs to come in the mail still.

So then how would people know that your dog got their CGC? Do you just tell them or something?

I think it would definitely be good to mention for things like insurance documents, dog boarding, etc.
This is the main reason I'm asking. Right now, we're still living at my dad's house (we got displaced by the hurricane last september) but when I move into another place i thought it would be benificial to mention that he has his CGC.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
I keep my vet records updated with new titles (and the CGC) behind their names. For groomers and boarding, I just let them know.
Of course, you can buy all the CGC related stuff like bandanas, patches, tags, etc. from the AKC.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I would encourage everyone to put in next to their dog's name (especially on rental forms, insurance, etc) simply to raise awareness of its existence. Lots of landlords, insurance people, etc. probably don't even know what it is. If they become familiar with it, then they see "Albert, APBT, CGC" maybe they'll have a more open mind.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I keep my vet records updated with new titles (and the CGC) behind their names. For groomers and boarding, I just let them know.
Of course, you can buy all the CGC related stuff like bandanas, patches, tags, etc. from the AKC.
if you purchase stuff like that from the AKC how do they know you actually have the CGC? I glanced at that awhile back before my dog got tested and it seemed like just anyone could purchase that stuff.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
if you purchase stuff like that from the AKC how do they know you actually have the CGC? I glanced at that awhile back before my dog got tested and it seemed like just anyone could purchase that stuff.
They can. But since in general having the CGC gear doesn't get you anything, there's no real harm in it.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
This is the main reason I'm asking. Right now, we're still living at my dad's house (we got displaced by the hurricane last september) but when I move into another place i thought it would be benificial to mention that he has his CGC.
Definitely is beneficial. Especially given the whole perception of bullies. If I were you, I'd be including it on every one of those kinds of things, whether you're renting, owning, or whatever. Gives you more leverage to show that your dog IS a good dog. Maybe even copying the certificate and submitting it along with other paperwork.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts