Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exactly how do you go about teaching a dog to recognize his/her name. Also my dog likes to play with everybody he sees(Like most dogs, he doesn't understand that everybody doesn't want to play with him) to the point he won't move until they pass from view.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
The best way to teach your dog his name is to reward him when he recognizes it. The scenario should look like this:

*Dog is going about his business*
You: "Fido!"
*Dog looks at you*
You: "Yes!" or "Good!" Give a treat, act excited.
Rinse and repeat. A couple minutes of this a few times a day and he'll know his name in no time.

After that, you'll want to teach a "leave it" command, which will come in handy when he wants to meet everybody. If you can get his attention (see above) in the presence of someone else who he wants to play with, reward heavily. Then build on it until he no longer wants to go see everyone.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
You could check out this one: How to teach your dog his name
I didn't use this because I came across it after we had Caeda for several weeks, but it might help. Very similar to the suggestion from GottaLuvMutts. We just gave our pup TONS of attention and treats any time she looked at us when we said her name. It'll take a while, and if its to do with distractions from other dogs or people she wants to play with there might be more in the works here than knowing his name lol....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts