Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Usually every 4 weeks. I don't have the stomach to do them myself, my vet will do them free if they are not busy, or I'll pony up $10 at Petco to not have to deal with it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Every 2-3 weeks. I do them myself.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Depends on how active your dog is. Active dogs that go outside a lot require less trimming. Showdogs and dogs that are kept inside for most of the time require more.

Sarge and Maggie are trimmed probably every 4 weeks because they go on constant long walks and runs. My next door neighbor's dogs almost never get trimmed (never overgrown) because they get a lot of outside playtime, though they're inside dogs.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Every two weeks. My dogs get a two mile hike almost every day and have a large pasture to play in. Yet there nails will be overgrown by two weeks time.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I started cutting Ted's once a week to keep them short and get him used to me clipping them. (some of you know what a PITA he could be) Now it's like once every 2-3 weeks.

Mahalo and Buster get their nails tipped very once in a while, Duncan gets his done once a month.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't figure out if I'm doing too much or too little. Normally I do it every other week, which I guess is like every 2 weeks. Some of them grow super fast, especially the ones on raw. Then a couple others grow thick, long quickly. They are kind of thick and ugly IMO. The dam this way too. The owner would cut them often and sometimes I'd do it for them too. They just looked thicker then normal one and if a clipping was missed they'd get thicker and longer quick.

Some of mine I guess I've never done or seldom done. They somehow just stay short and trim. Others I'm doing all the time it feels like, usually no more then every 2 weeks but there are a couple I've done a little every week for some time to try and combat them from getting thick. Also I walked one of the females who's dam was that way every day on pavement (sidewalk and asphalt) for 2-4 miles a day but I still had to clip every 2 weeks. One on raw biking everyday on pavement same story, not as thick or bad but still have to be done every 2 weeks regardless. I even mentioned it to my DH as I thought maybe it would help keep them trim and only have to do it every 3-4wks if at all or even that often.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Weekly, with clippers, done by moi. I want to get a dremel, though.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I use a dremel. It has worked best for allowing me to get very short trim without them getting hurt and jerking their foot away.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Every 2 weeks. I do Bug's with a dremmel because she is afraid of the clippers and I do Bella's with the clippers because she is afraid of the dremmel. lol

·
Registered
186 Posts
Average is about once a week but I try to get it every 4-5 days. Not that they need that much trimming.. Here’s the story: After finding her on the streets I had a heck of a hard time doing her nails. We quickly figured out that grinding worked better than clippers but it was still an ordeal. Even Vets had a lot of trouble and the groomers at Petxxx threw us out (nicely). Finally after a year I got it worked out where I can do them myself with almost no problem. (Lots better than paying $10-13 every two weeks!) So even if they don’t need to be shortened, or only need a little trim, I still go through the motions. I might grind a very very little but by making it a routine it helps her stay calm. And she loves the treat at the end. If your question is how often it is needed, well that depends on many factors. But it’s better to do less trimming more often, than too much trimming not often enough and hitting the quick.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Not very often. More so in winter as there isnt to much pavement to wear them down. In summer never. He goes on longggg hikes every day and walks which keeps them very short. His declaws I do every 2 weeks or so as they dont wear down. I just trimmed them yesterday, first time in a few months.

I do them myself. Since I work in dog grooming. I have no choice lol. I cut many dog nails a day.

Its funny I went to a new vet yesterday (finally found one I LOVE) and I passe dher nail trimming test. the receptionist laughed and said she has hardly seen any one pass her test of short nails. I must be good. Then i reminded her I work down stairs in the grooming shop. She said , oh that must be why lol

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't clip her nails but we do dremmel them probably about once every couple of weeks. I'm less nervous with a dremmel than I am with a clipper. I just don't like to take the chance of getting the quick.

It's the Doberdawn site that taught us to do them, and now 4 1/2 month old Sophie hardly bats an eye when it's Dremmel time.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I do mine every week. When we walk it's not usually on a whole lot of concrete, but on soft dirt and grass, so their toenails don't wear down enough on their own.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts