Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if this thread has been done before, this is the first time I've posted in this area. I love our groomer as she's great with Luke and listens to us! My father picked him up from the last groom and it seems she accidentally forgot to clip Luke's dewclaw.

It seems long to me, but the last time I told her it looked long, she said it wasn't that bad. So am I over worrying? It's not near his pad yet, but if I had too, how do I clip a dog's nails? I do know not to clip the vein and thankfully Luke's claws are white, not dark. Should I buy dog clippers at PetsMart? It's only one dewclaw, not both of them.

Thank for reading this. :)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
You can buy nail clippers at any pet store. Since they are white, you only trim off the white, being careful not to get too close to the pink, as that is the vein, and even if you don't cut into it, sometimes just getting too close will cause it to bleed. I recommend pliar type nail trimmers, NOT the guillotine kinds, especially for a dew claw. Thats a tricky area to get at with any trimmer, and the guillotine kind are a disaster waiting to happen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Very easy to do yourself. Just pick up a pair of nail cutters from a pet store. And cut the white off, being sure not to touch the red "vein" in the nail.
With white nails you shouldn't have the slightest problem.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you two for answering! I will try to look for pliar type nail trimmers at PetsMart and yes, I know not to go too close to the vein or "pink part". I did it once before, but with regular nail clippers and that scared me. But thank you for replying and I will look for them next time I go to the pet store. Thanks again!! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I totally agree with all of the previous replies also if you do get too close on accident pick up some styptic powder to apply to the nail to stop the bleeding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts