Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nanuq hates to be groomed in any way. Anything to make it easier and faster is a plus. Simple brushing is an ordeal. Nail trims are a major undertaking. Would it be easier to trim her nails after a bath or would it be damaging to the nail? I was thinking they would be softer and maybe easier to trim? The problem isn't really the nails. It's more just that she hates it but anything to make it better is a plus.

For you groomers out there. Nanuq was in a pretty neglected state when we got her. I don't think she was ever groomed much if at all before coming to us. She is a real nipper when being groomed in any way. We have been patiently working with her but after several months of no improvement I have resorted to just putting a grooming muzzle on her and getting the brushing and nailtrimming over with. I have thought about taking her to a groomer but don't really want to subject a groomer to this nippy dog. As a groomer how would you feel about this? Would you even take on a dog like this or would you send us home?

I've never had to deal with anything like this before. I got my other dogs as puppies and started brushing them etc, from day one. It was just a normal part of their routine. Taking on an older dog with issues is a whole different story. Fortunately she has found her forever home and the story has a happy ending.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I would trim his nails after the bath. They will be softer and easier to cut. I used to work at a groomers..we would get dogs in that didnt like to be groomed or nipped. I would call around and see if you can find a groomer that is willing to deal with him, if you decide you dont want to do it yourself. They would most likely muzzle him just like you do.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Great advice Kerplunk. I completely agree. Nails after the bath, and we groomers deal with dogs that aren't fans of grooming every day. :) Just make sure to give the groomer fair warning when you call and schedule as some groomers refuse "difficult" dogs, and the ones that don't need to know your dog is difficult for safety reasons of everyone involved.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I ALWAYS do the nails last. That's how I was taught. Because unless you dremmel them, then they are sharper. So if they want to jump all over you, then you wont be so sliced up.

Some people will say before the bath, in case you quick a nail, then all the evidence can be washed off with the bath.

I say, screw that.. Do them last and put some styptic powder on it. I always tell owners anyway if I get a nail to short.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I ALWAYS do the nails last. That's how I was taught. Because unless you dremmel them, then they are sharper. So if they want to jump all over you, then you wont be so sliced up.

Some people will say before the bath, in case you quick a nail, then all the evidence can be washed off with the bath.

I say, screw that.. Do them last and put some styptic powder on it. I always tell owners anyway if I get a nail to short.
I agree, I always leave the nails till last, I don't use dremel, so the nails can be a bit rough and scratchy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts