Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nail grinding tools

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  RonE 
I use a Dremel Micro cordless - I think the smaller size cuts down on the noise and vibrations - with a drum and a... I think 60-grit sanding band? Typically at 15,000 rpm. You do have to take the time to introduce the tool, conditioning the dog to the sight and sound first, then touching it to her nails when it's off, then slowly working up to contact while the dremel's running. Also keep in mind that the friction will cause the sanding band to heat up quickly, so you don't want to hold it against the nail for longer than a few seconds at one go.

Here's a couple videos from Deb Jones, one of the champs of cooperative care (low-stress handling the animal actively and voluntarily participates in) for dogs. The first is about tools for nail clipping, including why she prefers the ones she does. The second uses a pet tutor - a treat dispensing machine - for desensitizing a dog to the dremel sound. You don't need a dispenser to do this, you can just give the treats yourself or have a helper do it, but it should give you an idea of where to start when getting a dog used to the tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.