Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been able to trim my dogs nails occasionally by using treats and keeping the sessions short. My wife has on a couple of occasions trimmed her nails while the dog was relaxing on her lap. This always made me really nervous and I don't know if I'm just hypervigilant from previous frightening experiences with this dog. I have scissor type clippers and I think that the pressure or pulling sensation bothers her. She mouthed my hand today while I was clipping and I stopped immediately, got her to offer me a few behaviors and rewarded her. Just ended it on a positive note.

This dog requires management and medication for fear and anxiety. I'm always on the look out for body language headed toward reactivity and aggression and this mouthing was a gentle gesture in that direction.

My thought is that a dremel tool is going to be much more frightening to her than the clippers I'm using. The size , sound, and sensation seem like they could be overwhelming. What have your experiences been when introducing the dog to a grinder?

I have a dremel and the flex shaft extension. Can you tell me what attachments or grinding material you use? Is there a different tool that is better for the job?

Any advice on reinforcement timing or techniques for grooming a fearful dog would be appreciated. I know Dr. Sophia Yin covers this and I probably need to revisit the lecture.

Thanks for any advice.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.