Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help us with a diagnosis? Our dog has been very ill for 4 weeks. Fever, lethargy, disorientation, low platelet count, bad liver readings, anorexia, weight loss, arthritis and weakness, depression, and now a distended belly. He's been on doxycycline and had all the tick panels and ultrasounds and x-rays. No one can put a name to it. The antibiotics don't seem to have helped. The poor guy is really sick. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Unfortunately, it sounds like it could be cancer. :( Could you perhaps get a second opinion on the X-rays and the ultrasound pics?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, at least I don't think it's the big "C." We've had six vets thus far working on him as well as a couple of long-distance conversations to others. We're going to attack it harder now with a spinal tap and a feeding tube. We're hoping that by supporting his own system we can get a little traction. The onset was sudden, so you'd think infection or ingestion. But the tests all come up negative. They looked at salmon poisoning. One vet suggested Valley Fever. Another Rocky Mountain Spotted. Maybe Rabbit Fever. But the antibiotics should have helped and just haven't. So many involved and stumped. He's such a good dog. But then that's what everybody says about their sick pups. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. Brought another clinic on board and are considering the University. Hoping for more eyes and more experiences. Somebody, somewhere must have seen something like this before. He happens to be having a good day today. Maybe he's made the turn? Thank you.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Would help to know location because certain diseases are more prone to certain areas. It seems that you might be in the Northwest part like Washington because you mention salmon poisoning. What age is the dog? And the breed? I would go to the University if you want answers. I would do it ASAP before the dog gets any worse.
Has Leptospirosis been ruled out? There is a cancer screen test that can be done.
Brucellosis is another disease too. There are many diseases that can have the same symptoms and attack the same organs. You have to decide whether or not you want to run up a huge bill to see what is wrong with the dog or keep the bill low and make the dog as comfortable as possible. Maybe they can do biopsy to help decide what is wrong with your dog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, Tacoma. They did look for lepto. He's three and mixed breed, seems to be part mastiff. I don't think anyone has talked about brucellosis. I did see it online and wondered. Can dogs get it? I'll ask them to think about it. I'd also like them to look at tularemia. I don't think they asked for that in the screen. University makes sense to me. They may take it as a research or teaching challenge. The ship has already sailed as far as the bill. It was way high two weeks ago. He's is having a good day today. Maybe it just had to run it's course. That would be so good. Thanks for the thought. I'll re-read and pursue it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts