Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I live in Jamaica and I work with a pack of 10 dogs here, some of whom seem to have developed the same skin condition. It begins as dark spots on the feet and ankles and progresses into open sores as it spreads up the body. I have quite a bit of experience with mange and this seems to present differently. The mange usually causes large patches of baldness and sometimes the itching can lead to sores but with the mystery condition the sores appear with minimal hair loss around them. The dogs I'm caring for are basically stray and have been through so much abuse and trauma they do not want to be physically touched so I'm trying to see if there's any way to figure out what's going on without making them have to go through a trip to the vet. If anyone has any experience with anything that looks like this I'd love some input.
TIA!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
There are two types of mange, sarcoptic and demodectic. Both of them can lead to secondary bacterial infections. If at all possible, I would recommend that you get at least one of the dogs to the vet for a skin scrape, to see if it is mange, and work out a plan on how to treat them is it is.

·
Super Moderator
3,051 Posts
Unfortunately, it is against forum rules to offer medical advice, even in a situation such as yours. Once you have seen a vet, please feel free to start a new thread to discuss the diagnosis.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts