Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Are males normally larger than females or is it the breeding?

Sorry to ask the questions.
Hey its no problem, I rather people ask than fall victim to misinformation. The answer is yes to both; Males are generally larger than females but it also matters what breed the wolf is mixed with. For example, a wolf mixed with malamute can potentially yield larger pups than a wolf mixed to a smaller breed like a husky. Hope that makes sense :)

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Are they mixed with a GSD or are they just wolves? Either way they're gorgeous; a little scary, but that stems from a past experience of mine. I'm trying to get over it (it's mainly all black caninels: wolves, black GSD's, Belgian Sheepdogs, breeds like that), but yours are very nice looking. :)

Haha, a wolamute I heard they were called. Wolf + Malamute=Wolamute. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/wolamute.htm

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are they mixed with a GSD or are they just wolves? Either way they're gorgeous; a little scary, but that stems from a past experience of mine. I'm trying to get over it
My boy is mixed with GSD and my female with malamute. Sorry to hear about your bad experience, I hope it doesn't deter you from similar breeds in the future :)

Where did you get your wolfdogs?
I got mine from a local breeder. I researched the breed for a couple of years before making the commitment to own. Also my wife had one growing up, that really helped too.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
Do you plan to breed? And do you have any tips/warnings for people who might be interested in owning a wolfdog? (I'm not, I'm just curious.)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you plan to breed? And do you have any tips/warnings for people who might be interested in owning a wolfdog? (I'm not, I'm just curious.)
No I'm not a breeder, I optioned for a male and female to avoid same gender aggression.

As for tips, I recommend people do their research no matter what breed or animal for that matter. I've seen too many animals pay the price as a result of irresponsible owners. I'm sure I'm not preaching anything new :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Wow!! They are so beautiful!! And yes, a little scary, but in a really cool way. lol

How are their temperments? Do they vary alot from GSD or malamutes?

·
Banned
6,239 Posts
Are they mixed with a GSD or are they just wolves? Either way they're gorgeous; a little scary, but that stems from a past experience of mine. I'm trying to get over it (it's mainly all black caninels: wolves, black GSD's, Belgian Sheepdogs, breeds like that), but yours are very nice looking. :)

Haha, a wolamute I heard they were called. Wolf + Malamute=Wolamute. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/wolamute.htm
None of the dogs on that page look like they have wolf in them at all!

Yours are beautiful, however, and I can definitely see the wolf in them. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First of all thanks to all for the positive comments.

Wow!! They are so beautiful!! And yes, a little scary, but in a really cool way. lol

How are their temperments? Do they vary alot from GSD or malamutes?
They do behave a little different than your standard GSD or Malamute. For example they exhibit a little higher food guarding, also higher pacing and digging tendencies, etc.. That being said owning a large breed like a GSD or Northenbreed will help prepare someone for a wolfdog in the future. My two are very sociable and very affectionate especially my female.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.