Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm by no means looking for a third dog, but like MissMutt I thought it would be interesting to see what breed you guys think would be a good fit for me.

Size: Not smaller than a Beagle, not larger than a BC.

Training: I would like a creative learner, a dog that is willing to offer a good variety of behaviours, receptive to free shaping, etc. I do not demand ABSOLUTE 100% obedience from my dogs -- I do insist that they are trained but not to the bombproof level that Xeph and Elana require. I do not need the dog to be offleash or safe around small animals.

Grooming: Low. I don't mind brushing once or twice a week. No clipping, and no necessity for professional grooming. I do think I would make an exception on this for only two breeds, though... the Papillon and the fluffy Corgi, because I think they are just far too pretty. Moderate shedding. Labs and Huskies need not apply. :D

Exercise: I would like a dog that can jog 4 miles with me daily, but at the same time not go bananas if we do less than that now and then. Don't intend to compete in any sports.

Temperament: I like a dog that matures slowly and has a high play drive. I don't have the right lifestyle for a DA or SA dog. Must love strangers. I like velcro dogs but it's not a must.

Dog must be able to tolerate hot weather; no brachycephalics, please.

What do you guys think? Fire away!

I should also mention that at some point in my life I am looking to own a Pem Corgi and, perhaps later on, an Aussie... do you think these breeds would fit the above requirements? Why or why not?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
An aussie would probably fit except for possibly the grooming part, you would need to brush him/her reuglarly. They LOVE to train, and when you slack on the physical exercise they are usually ok for a bit as long as you increase the mental.

If you kept them in a short clip, poodles would also fit the bill.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
A female Doberman :)

Size would be pretty close, they can tolerate hot weather well, they are trainable but not free, they are low maintenance dogs, if properly socialized they can be super friendly, they have high play drive and are Velcro dogs. So, other then the fact that they might be a little taller then you are used to but about the right weight... they are perfect.

I think I will recommend Dobermans to everyone that asks. LOL They just really do fit into a lot more lifestyles then people think they would. I think part of that is how much I like them and what I have seen of them in good homes.

I was going to ask the same question on my own thread but I was afraid of the answers. lol

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
How about a Beagle? :p Hey they do fit your requirements...

Not larger than a BC is tricky since there are BC's not much bigger than a big beagle lol...

A bit on the big size but a Vizsla or GSP could work...or like a Brittany spaniel (though you may need to trim some feathering now and then)...maybe a Harrier...

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I would love to train an Aussie one day... I really don't know if I could keep up with one though.

I've read in more than one place that Dobes aren't good for first-time dog owners. I'm not a first-time owner, but I'd just like to know why this is?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts