Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I LOVE these "guess the dog breed" threads- thought I'd jump in with my new gal, Lela!

Just some background- Lela came up from South Carolina as part of a dog transport. She was billed as a "German Shepherd/Lab Mix." My vet guesses she's about 2 years old and is 35 lbs.-about Cocker Spaniel size. She has an interesting tongue- Purple on the top, and pink with dark purple spots on the underneath, lol. Her body is very long/lanky, and she has a fishhook tail.

Any guesses as to what breeds she could be? :party:

...and here's showing her "special tongue" - purple on top, pink & purple on the sides & bottom:

So far... from our visits to pet stores, the dog park, etc... I've heard:

-Chow/Pit (this seems to be most popular guess)
-Shar Pei mix (this was my guess at first, as she has a LOT of loose skin)
-GSD mix
-Chow/Carolina Dog
-Pit/akita
-One person told me I had a purebred Shiba Inu (ROFLMAO!!!! I thanked them politely)

This fall I'm going to pursue a DNA test. I know they tend to throw ... strange... results, but that's okay. I'm planning the "Mother of all Camping Trips" to northern Canada next summer, and I'm a bit worried about whether we'll be allowed across the border or not. She's so... "bully" looking. I'm hoping a letter from my vet and lab results from a DNA test will help us cross the border. Of course, if the DNA tests come back with a Pit in there, then I guess the Mother of All Camping Trips will have to stay stateside, lol.:wink:

Anyway... I'd love to hear what you think!
Jen

·
Registered
12 Posts
I definitely see some GSD in her, and something else I can't put my tongue on. But she's a really cool looking dog. Hope you get the results you want from the DNA test and hope you have no problems on your camping trip.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
I do think there's some Shar Pei in her. Not enough to give her the usual hippo nose (although it is a little bit hippo-ish), but her body looks very Shar Pei-ish to me (minus the wrinkles). And that would account for the curly tail and the purple tongue, too. And, hmmm, I can't really put my finger on anything else. She looks very mixed up, I don't think her family line has seen any purebreds for a while!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
She has almost no turn of stifle going on. It's practically straight.
I believe that is seen is chows and maybe shar pei.

That and the mostly blackish tongue makes me think chow plays a big role in her.
(But I've also worked with pure bred newfies, goldens, etc. with black or spotted black tongues)

·
Registered
673 Posts
I see a lot of Shar Pei in the dog. Body structure, tail, tongue all point to it. Mixing with a GSD would probably explain the face, ears, and smoother skin. So yeah, GSD/Shar Pei is my vote.

ETA: I didn't see the weight. :/ So, probably not GSD, lol. I'm not sure what would give her that look otherwise...so I'm downgrading my guess to Shar Pei mix.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! It's so cool hearing what ya'll think. I'm excited to do this DNA test and see what it says, LOL.

Jen

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
The dark tongue doesn't mean much IMO about the breed. I've seen known pure bred labs among other breeds with dark spots on their tongues, it's just pigment.

Having said that, I don't really have a good guess. Her size is throwing me off a bit.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Do all Canadian provinces have breed restrictions? I know Ontario does, but there may be plenty of other places where there is not a problem. Honestly, poorly-bred pits and mixes are very common in my city and the restrictions are never enforced unless perhaps there is a problem with a specific owner and their dog. They may hassle someone at the border though, if the dog does look very bullyish.
Your dog does not look bully to me. I have no idea what she could be, neither would the person at the border. If it says Shepherd/Lab on her adoption papers... well, that's what she is then ;)

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LOL! Polywoggy--Our camping trip is (hopefully) to Newfoundland but I'm a bit miffed at the ferry restrictions (dogs have to be left alone in the cars for the 8 hour journey, no visiting or anything! That makes me nervous) so I was looking into one of the national parks in New Brunswick instead. I thought I read something there about BSL though. I'll have to double check. I'm so paranoid about being hassled at the border, lol!

Her adoption paper is funny. "Chow Mix" is written, crossed out, and then above it: "Lab/Shepherd mix". LOL. She came in as a puppy though, so I can understand the confusion. A 6 month old is kind of hard to determine...

Jen

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Are you sure she is not a "Carolina Dog", looked at some pictures of them and that could be part of her heritage as she came from there. I don't see any Pit in her. As far as I know the only Province wide ban on pit type dogs is Ontario, but various other cities, towns could have their own ban.

·
Registered
849 Posts
True, some cities may have their own bylaws. Kind of would be a pain to research every town and make a zigzagging route. I don't think she looks bully though. When you show proof of vaccinations, what does your vet have her identified as?

That is ridiculous about the ferry. Who the hell advocates leaving dogs locked in a parked car- in the summer no less?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ontario is the only provice with a province-wide BSL. I don't understand having to leave the dogs in the car for 8 hours either! Here, they have to stay in the car but I'm allowed to stay down there too.

As for breed guesses, I would say Sharpei mix. I see no pit bull in her but I could see how some animal control officer might decide she's a pit bull mix.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think Carolina Dog, and I'm guessing that's what my Jack is as well. This website is really helpful and you can send a picture of your dog to them and describe temperament and they will tell you what they think!

http://cdrcp.org/appearance/

This link discusses DNA tests and Carolina dogs and sending in your dog's picture http://cdrcp.org/2011/02/09/hot-topic-dna-kits-and-verifying-a-carolina-dog/

These same people have also put out a you tube video of how to tell if you have a Carolina Dog: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=carolina dog site:youtube.com&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCEQFjAB&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8QJjDitRG8&ei=IEC0TqWgLNPptgfqu6zPAw&usg=AFQjCNG5RgILSkhrPeYnEa2Kd-LOFRuyvA&cad=rja

All of this has me convinced that is what my dog Jack is! He may have some defects, or it may be that he is only 6 months and still has some "growing in to himself" to do.

P1060592.jpg P1060539.jpg P1060600.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts