Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new here, I'll introduce myself and my 3 dogs in another thread for introductions....I wanted to ask this first......I took ,y toy poodle to the vet cause he has had diarrhea for 2 weeks and has lost 2 pounds, down to 4 pounds from 6. He don't wanna eat, don't wanna play....just wants to sleep and cuddle.

Anyhow, his name is Remmy.....Remmy went to the vet yesterday and got an antibiotic and already is acting better, still has the runs and squirts but he is playing with the other 2 dogs and acting way better.....my question is this:

While at the vet we went into our room and the vet wanted to take Remmy's temp so he grabbed this thermometer off the table that appeared to have brown stains all over it...."you all get where I'm going"......he sticks that thing up Remmy's bum with no lubrication at all, throws it back on the bench and went about his business.....while he walked out to get the antibiotic I grabbed a wet wipe and wiped that thing off, it was covered in dirty fecal matter....sounds funny to say but I am wondering if dogs can pass diseases like us humans do? Why would he not sanitize it first? Am I over reacting to this? Is that normal to not sanitize an anal thermometer?

We treat out dogs like family and I would never do that to my daughter, and I would not do that to my dog.....just wondered how y'all thought about it.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I hope the instruments are sterilized after each visit. Maybe he just waits until the patient leaves? Don't know.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I think "EEEEWWWW." I would ask....you are paying, you have a right to ask (politely) if its sanitized or not. Im pretty sure they are supposed to get the little plastic cover on it and then lubricate it first...at least, that's what they have done at our vet when I take my dogs in.

But Im glad your dog is feeling better.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
New vet immediately. If he's not cleaning anal thermometers, he's probably not washing his hands when he pees, either.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Ewww.. that's frightening. Usually they have little plastic sleeves that slip over the thermometer that are just tossed afterwards. I would find a new vet D:

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Before you switch vets or report them over what might be a simple misunderstanding, I'd suggest you call and talk to them about it. Some vets use things like hairball laxative, which is brown, as a lubricant for the thermometer instead of clear lube or if they are temporarily out of lube. Give them a chance to explain, for crying out loud.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I am going to give him a chance to explain....maybe it was brown lubrication....even if not, I doubt I file a complaint with anyone. Probably just change vets and spread the word about what I seen. Thanks for all the suggestions and yes Remmy is feeling tons better....antibiotics worked like their supposed to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts