Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i just got a 8 week old toy eskimo, i dont know how to get her to go to the bathroom outside, in my yard, concrete. i originally put wi wi pads down and shes not going on them, i think due to the face when she was shipped here by airplane there was a wiwi pad in the crate with her , i think she doesnt want to spoil that, i then put down paper, she sometimes goes on it sometimes doesnt. what im asking is this, do i need to do one or the other, for example my ultimate goes is to have her go outside. but i do keep papers down in the kitchen also, am i doin somthing wrong, another thing she dont walk with the leash on she i have to drag het lol. its now monday i only got her friday and shes only 8 weeks, i just need some tips. please help

·
Registered
823 Posts
Take her outside every hour or so, after eating, after rough play, right before bedtime, and when she wakes up. Take her out on a leash and do not play or do anything until she goes potty. Be patient, it will take more than 3 days to potty train a puppy.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I found it helpful to hold her in your arms or on your lap, or have her on the couch next to you (anywhere she wont go potty) until she REALLY needs to go. Just prevent her from going to the bathroom for a while until she really has to go.. and then take her out. Then she will hopefully go outside, even though she doesn't yet feel comfortable going out there, and you will get that wonderful first chance to praise the heck outta her for doing it! She will catch on -very- quickly that this is where she wants to go. This is what we had to do to convince Zoey to go potty outside for the very first time. I hope this helps!

Also, it will take about a month for her to fully understand that outside is the ONLY place she is supposed to go, but it can take much longer than that before she understands that inside is absolutely the wrong place, and not just the un-preferred place. Don't get discouraged though! Consistency is the key!

·
Banned
414 Posts
I would take her outside every two hours and after every meal and when she wakes up. Pick a word like "potty" to use when you take her outside and when she goes, praise her and tell her "good potty" so she associates the action with the word. I would also put her in a crate when you are not watching her to prevent accidents. I think letting a dog go to the bathroom inside, using pads or papers, just makes it more confusing. Sometimes its ok indoors and sometimes not. Pretty confusing in my opinion. Make sure to visit the vet for shots, worming and an exam too.

Congratulations on the new pup and good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your input im just so confused, people are telling me to put paper down in the kitchen shel get used to go on the pads then when she gets that down , bring her outside with the paper, then eventuaally take the paper away outside. is that the right way to do it ? im just so confused i only have her 4 days and shes 8 weeks old, she would be going in my yard no grass no other dogs. i know it takes a while but i just want to right routine. i also leave for work at 430 am and dont come home til 330 so i leave her in the kitchen contained, with paper down, any other help please

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Your pup is in a crate for 11 hours . . . is that right? That's a very long time, especially for an 8-week-old puppy. Are you able to come home and let her out during the day? Or do you have a roommate or friend who can do that?

If I read that correctly, and you are gone 11 hours, then train the dog to use the pee pads so she's not in a crate all day. You're on the right track by confining her to the kitchen while you're gone so she doesn't have free roam of the house. Keep leading her to the pad when you think she needs to go.

When you're home, go out every hour to teach her to go outside. No, it's not ideal, but it can work. My dog has a history of UTI, so I don't want him to be forced to hold it while I'm at work. He uses pee pads while I'm gone and goes outside at night. It's not what many people would advise, but it works for us. It did take time, though, and lots of praise when he did it right.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
no u read wrong, the dog is not in the crate when im at work, the dog is in the kitchen all day long with her food , and paper to go to the bathroom, when i come home i then let her out of the kitchen where she can into one more room, what im saying is i want her to be able to go outside, so is teaching her to go on the paper the wrong thing to do this is what im confused about. i ultimatly want her to go outside, whats the paper for then lol.

no shes in the kitchen all day long with the paper

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
The paper is for her to use while you are away at work for 11 hours.

Unless you have a doggy door for her to use? Even then, she's still so young. I would be reluctant to let a pup that young outside when I'm not there.

OK, you ultimately want her to go outside. But you still have an 8-week-old puppy who can hold her bladder for 1 hour for every month she's been alive. So 2 hours. And 11 hours is still a long time for an adult dog who isn't able to go outside during that time.

So I stand by my previous advice (minus the crate comment). She's going to need the pads while you're gone for a while yet. If you have a kitchen door that goes outside, put down the pads close to the door.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
another thing, everytime she goes to the bathroom she eats her poop. i try to stop it wen i can but i can not always catch it, any help

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
another thing, everytime she goes to the bathroom she eats her poop. i try to stop it wen i can but i can not always catch it, any help

Try adding a bit of plain, canned pumpkin (not the pie mix ) to her food.

As far as the house training goes, yes, read the sticky. That will help. Having to be away at work all day with her inside will probably delay house training a bit but she'll get it eventually and it can't be helped. We do have to work and earn a living.

What I've done, instead of gating the pup in an entire room with it's tempting things to chew such as cupboards and baseboards, is to set up the crate (crate door open)inside an ex-pen with newspapers spread over the area covered by the ex-pen. I put the set up in the kitchen for easy cleanup. Then when I get home, take the pup outside immediately to do it's business and then put it in the crate with the door closed while I clean up the kitchen using an enzyme cleanerand take down the ex-pen set up. When I'm home the pup is crated when I can't supervise it or tethered to me except during scheduled play/training times and taken outside to potty.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
What's up with all the nastiness in this thread? :?

no u read wrong, the dog is not in the crate when im at work, the dog is in the kitchen all day long with her food , and paper to go to the bathroom, when i come home i then let her out of the kitchen where she can into one more room, what im saying is i want her to be able to go outside, so is teaching her to go on the paper the wrong thing to do this is what im confused about. i ultimatly want her to go outside, whats the paper for then lol.
If you ultimately want her to go outside, don't paper-train her. There used to be a method where you paper-trained the dog first and then trained the dog to go outside by laying newspaper out in the yard, but that's really old-fashioned and pretty inefficient.

Okay, let me set this out for you.

WHEN YOU'RE NOT HOME:
The puppy should be in her crate. She will not want to pee or poop in her crate because it's against her instincts to do so...however, if she absolutely can't hold it, she will. She can only hold her bladder for two hours. If you can come home after two hours to take her outside, then do so. If you can't come home after two hours, put her in a playpen with her crate, and a bowl of water. You can line the floor with newspapers just to make clearing up neater.

WHEN YOU'RE AT HOME:
The puppy should be tethered to your waist with a leash. When you see her circling the ground and sniffing like she wants to go, immediately distract her and rush her outside to the yard. Wait for her to go; when she does, treat and praise her like crazy. If you can't watch her because you're working or showering or whatever, put her in her crate, but remember you have to take her out before two hours are up so she doesn't end up messing in there.

WHEN YOU'RE ASLEEP:
She should be in her crate. Again, she shouldn't be in there for more than two hours, so you need to set your alarm for every two hours and take her out on a leash. When she goes in the yard, praise her like crazy and put her straight back in her crate.

Don't leave her food down all day. This makes it difficult to predict when she's going to need the toilet; it also has the potential to lead to behavioural issues which make training slightly harder. Instead, feed her two or three times throughout the day, and make sure she finishes all her food.

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts