Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the summer I fostered a litter of kittens. Their mother was a barn cat out where I board my horse. The mother was my cat Pandas' sister so she was only about 9 months old when she had them. She was attacked by a dog that lives there as well when the kittens were going on 2 weeks old. She survived a few days after and tried caring for her babies. The owners were feeding momma cat leftover human food and she was in bad shape. After she passed away the kittens got moved back outside (right where the dogs that attacked the mother are fed) with only dry dog food and a bowl of 2% milk given once a day. As soon as I saw them outside starving, I brought them home. It was a rough couple weeks at first. They were very dehydrated when I got them and soo thin. They also had severe diarrhea that we battled off and on for several weeks.

I learned that raising kittens from such a young age is not an easy job! They require so much time and commitment. They have to be fed on time day and night, they can't just skip a meal because you want to go out with your friends or something. They make lots of messes especially when they all have diarrhea. I spent so much time mopping the floor and cleaning up after them. Their milk goes everywhere especially after they learn to drink from a bowl. They have to be cleaned up after eating because drinking from a bowl requires them to lay in said bowl lol. And then finding good homes for a litter of kittens isn't easy either. Even though it wasn't easy, I'm so glad I took them in. It was so rewarding seeing these sick, scared, little kittens turn into happy, friendly, healthy kittens and find homes where they will live indoors, get vet care, and be spayed/neutered so they won't contribute to more kittens having to go through this.

All of the pictures were taken after I'd had them awhile, I think they were like 4 or 5 weeks old in these pictures. It was so difficult to get pictures of them! They are like velcro, as soon as you set them down they are running back to me lol

The female was huge compared to her brothers. She was the healthiest looking kitten from the beginning and such a beautiful girl! She went to a family where she is spoiled rotten by a couple kids! I called her Cali (I know every calico is called Cali, but I'm horrible at names!)

This is her next to the largest of her brothers and she still towered over him

The largest of the males I called Bear because he looks like my cat Panda. He went to a girl who had recently lost her cat and was wanting a pet to bring with her to her apartment in college.

Then there was little Moo. He had what looked like a milk mustache marking so he got the name Moo. He was the runt of the litter and such a sweet little boy! He loved our dog Duke and spent most of his time curled up with him. He now has his own dog to play with and a little girl to keep company. I've also heard he will be getting a new kitten friend here soon.

And the last one is Smudge. I shouldn't have favorites but he really was, it was very hard to give him up. He was the friendliest one and preffered sitting in my lap over playing with the others. He also was the one I really didn't think would make it. He was so thin and had the worst of the diarrhea. I think he used up a couple of his nine lives already, poor little guy. He went to a friends mom where he is unbeleivably spoiled and has finally grown!

*more*

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm so glad I have dogs that are so good with small animals! They were actually somewhat helpful in raising the litter. Duke appointed himself kitten babysitter. He was constantly going from kitten to kitten checking on them when they started running around and playing. He also liked "bathing" the kittens, especially little Moo. There was one day that it stormed and all the kittens were scared of the thunder and curled up next to him.

Boomer giving kisses

Ahhh dog nose!

Yesterday I was sent a picture of Smudge at his new home :)

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Love all the pictures and the story too!! :D You did such a wonderful job taking these kitties in! I find that raising stray kittens is so rewarding.. they are such fighters and even when you think they won't make it, they often surprise you :) You should update with new pictures from their current owners.. I love watching baby animals grow up :D

I know you're not supposed to have favourites but every single litter of kittens I foster, I end up having a favourite! In the first litter I fostered, the prettiest turned out to be the most lovable and velcro one; she was my absolute favourite. In the 2nd litter I fostered, the "pretty" kittens were nice, but I really loved a black & white girl.. super spunky and fiery! I like how kittens have such different personalities, really! Puppies on the other hand, all seem the same to me.. lol! They're all spazzy and love being around humans.. Kittens, well.. have their own agendas.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Love all the pictures and the story too!! :D You did such a wonderful job taking these kitties in! I find that raising stray kittens is so rewarding.. they are such fighters and even when you think they won't make it, they often surprise you :) You should update with new pictures from their current owners.. I love watching baby animals grow up :D

I know you're not supposed to have favourites but every single litter of kittens I foster, I end up having a favourite! In the first litter I fostered, the prettiest turned out to be the most lovable and velcro one; she was my absolute favourite. In the 2nd litter I fostered, the "pretty" kittens were nice, but I really loved a black & white girl.. super spunky and fiery! I like how kittens have such different personalities, really! Puppies on the other hand, all seem the same to me.. lol! They're all spazzy and love being around humans.. Kittens, well.. have their own agendas.
They really do all have different personalities! I loved when they got around 5 weeks old and you could really see them each develop their own personality. I liked something different about each ones personality. I would definitely foster a litter again if I get the chance. I've been thinking about seeing if I could foster through our humane society here but I'm not sure my apartment would allow it. It would be so much less stressful if I went through a shelter next time though so I'm not the one responsible for finding all of them good homes! I will post pictures of these kittens in their new homes when I get them! I haven't heard from Bear or Calies owners but I should be getting a picture of Moo soon and I'm hoping to go visit Smudge next time I'm home.
OMG, give me that kitten!

Isn't she precious? You're about a month late though, I would have gladly sent her your way :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts