Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my older sister has recently been dog- sitting (with the possibility of keeping the dog) for one of her friends. I went over the 1st day she had her, and Smooches (the pit mix she's watching) only wanted attention from my sister or me, occasionally licking my 3 month old niece. She'd let my sister's 5 & 3 year old pet her, but she wasn't thrilled about it. She wouldn't move if you put a collar on her, or go within 5ft of the door.

I went again 2 days later to babysit, and Smooches was freely going in & out of the house, and fine with a harness. She still isn't too sure about the leash though. I gave her a bath, since she was covered in fleas and just filthy (that grimey feeling of a dirty dog was there) and by the color of the tub water (rusty) I'd say Smooches has never had a bath. She's about 5-6months old. She tried getting out once, all I had to do was body block her & she sat & licked my face while I finished ringing her. She was seeking attention of the kids too, though isn't quite comfortable with them initiating. I explained to them that Smooches is in a new place, with new people, and is nervous and that they need to let her approach them. They listened with only one reminder needed.

I'm surprised at how much she changed in 2 days. My sister said that Smooches's owner pays little attention to her, and that she wasn't allowed inside, only crated in a garage at night or in the rain. That's why my sister will be asking her friend if they can keep Smooches.

I'll add a pic of this sweet girl in a few minutes.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
So, my older sister has recently been dog- sitting (with the possibility of keeping the dog) for one of her friends. I went over the 1st day she had her, and Smooches (the pit mix she's watching) only wanted attention from my sister or me, occasionally licking my 3 month old niece. She'd let my sister's 5 & 3 year old pet her, but she wasn't thrilled about it. She wouldn't move if you put a collar on her, or go within 5ft of the door.

I went again 2 days later to babysit, and Smooches was freely going in & out of the house, and fine with a harness. She still isn't too sure about the leash though. I gave her a bath, since she was covered in fleas and just filthy (that grimey feeling of a dirty dog was there) and by the color of the tub water (rusty) I'd say Smooches has never had a bath. She's about 5-6months old. She tried getting out once, all I had to do was body block her & she sat & licked my face while I finished ringing her. She was seeking attention of the kids too, though isn't quite comfortable with them initiating. I explained to them that Smooches is in a new place, with new people, and is nervous and that they need to let her approach them. They listened with only one reminder needed.

I'm surprised at how much she changed in 2 days. My sister said that Smooches's owner pays little attention to her, and that she wasn't allowed inside, only crated in a garage at night or in the rain. That's why my sister will be asking her friend if they can keep Smooches.

I'll add a pic of this sweet girl in a few minutes.
It's called a 'honeymoon'. She's a puppy so it's probably going to be shorter than an older dog, but I'd expect to see her continuing to act more like herself for the next couple of weeks, at least. It's always awesome, in the 'getting comfortable' sense. It's not always awesome in the behavioural one. (Ie: super well behaved dogs relax and turn into hellions).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
According to my sister & her SO, Smooches hasn't acted like this before she was with them. They've known her a couple months, and she was always friendly like she is now (she was still nervous like the 1st day, but liked getting attention)

If the do end up keeping her, I told my sister I'd help her train Smooches, but that'll be interesting since it seems she isn't food or toy motivated, she only wants to be pet & cuddled. She's a 40lb lap dog.

Oh- here's her pic :)

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
According to my sister & her SO, Smooches hasn't acted like this before she was with them. They've known her a couple months, and she was always friendly like she is now.

If the do end up keeping her, I told my sister I'd help her train Smooches, but that'll be interesting since it seems she isn't food or toy motivated, she only wants to be pet & cuddled. She's a 40lb lap dog.

Oh- here's her pic :)
She's gorgeous.

And you can totally use anything that the dog wants as a reward and motivator. Jack's reward is getting to jump up on me (or a toy, but the higher value reward is jumping up to get his ears rubbed). Mind you, you can't lure with what, but it works just fine with a clicker.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll just have to find a way with her. She cant jump up b/c of the kids being small. We also went through a small phase of my 3 year old niece being terrified of dogs, and she's still uneasy about jumpy, playful dogs she's tiny on top, she's maybe 25lbs at most.

I also don't want to do too much until Smooches is for sure staying with my sister. She only got a bath b/c of fleas, being dirty, and being around 3 small kids.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I'll just have to find a way with her. She cant jump up b/c of the kids being small. We also went through a small phase of my 3 year old niece being terrified of dogs, and she's still uneasy about jumpy, playful dogs she's tiny on top, she's maybe 25lbs at most.

I also don't want to do too much until Smooches is for sure staying with my sister. She only got a bath b/c of fleas, being dirty, and being around 3 small kids.
I was just suggesting that affection can be the reward. Good luck and I hope she gets to stay somewhere safer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just suggesting that affection can be the reward. Good luck and I hope she gets to stay somewhere safer.
Thanks. And I realize that :) I'm not sure how to work with it though. I'm going to buy a food roll that worked well with my mom's dog, who wasn't food motivated until we introduced them.

I hope she can stay too. If my sister can't keep her, and my parents clear it, and my fiancè is OK with it, I'll keep her.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Use her dinner as training treats. Works on lots of levels - she is getting fed, she is getting trained, she is getting attention, she is learning action equals reward. And I thoroughly recommend getting a clicker - just keep it away from the kids. It is not a toy it is a training tool.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Not all dogs are food motivated, but it could just be that she's not comfortable yet. Kabota will eat anything now, but when I first got him, he wasn't all that interested in food. In fact, these days, I usually train with kibble, because anything higher value is too distracting.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thought I'd give a quick updat :)

She does know some basic training (very basic) training. She knows sit when a treat is involved, and that's about it.

But she does seems smart. While baby sitting, the older 2 kids were playing out in the back yard, while I had the baby in the house, trying to get her to nap with the back door open so I could hear & see the kids out back. Smooches won't come in unless guided, and she was with the kids. She RAN into the house, put her paws in my lap and looks at me, then back outside, and back at me, and runs back outside. I followed her... and the kids are trying to get over the privacy fence with one of those ride in plastic cars. Now, Not even a minute before, my niece was being pushed by my nephew in the car. I praised Smooches real quick, grabbed the kids, and brought them in. The whole fence thing was over a lizard.

My sister still isn't sure if they can keep Smooches (as in she hasn't talked to Smooches' owner about it at length.) If she can't, and her friend can't keep Smooches anymore, my Fiancè is more than happy with the idea of us owning Smooches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts