Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening as we were all sitting in the living room I was watching my daughter pet her shi-poo, band-aid. She and band-aid are best friends and this is a daily event, as she began to pet down his leg towards his paw he bit her violently on the face. She suffered two deep cuts around her eye, one on her nose and one on her lip.

This shocked us, as we have had band-aid since he was a puppy, over two and a half years now. He has never shown any signs of violence and loves the kids. After I cared for my daugther I checked him assuming he must be hurt, he did not want touched and snapped at me several times, again he has never done this before. I letter checked him and could not find sensitivity anywhere. What gives? My daugther is now scared to death, and I am thinking I have to get rid of the dog, this was not a normal nip, he bit her good.

What would cause this in a dog that has never acted this way. He was just sitting in the same spot he does everyday, looking out the window as usual. No startling, nothing rough, all perfectly normal until the bite. The whole family is devastated, he has always been the perfect dog, overly friendly insists on sleeping at the foot of the kids beds, always preferred the kids over adults. We do not know what to do, I do not want the guilt if my daughter or someone else gets bit again, but we would really miss him. :(

Thanks for any input,

Ron

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Have you taken Band-aid to a vet after the bite, to see if he has any sort of underlying cause for this sudden aggression (arthritis, an old injury, or anything else)? I would do that first. Sometimes they can be hurting internally, and a vet can pinpoint what it is.

I'm sorry this has happened and hope you can find out the cause.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
My first thought is some sort of medical problem if the behavior did, indeed, come on suddenly.

However, there could have been signs that you may have missed. Subtle signs. Licking lips, tense body posture, etc. Even yawning and panting can be indicators of stress.

What I would do is first consult a vet and do some bloodwork and then find a behaviorist to help you work through whatever issue there may be.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Thorough vet check ASAP!!!! Dogs are very good at hiding injuries and illness, so he needs a FULL workup. This is a VERY serious thing for a dog to bite unprovoked. I can let you know this much, if there is a bite history rescue will NOT accept him and yes, it's your duty to let the shelter know that he has bitten a family member. Right now, keep him away from your kids, only you and your spouse are allowed around him. Let your daughter know that it may be that Band-aid is sick or hurt and probably didn't mean to hurt her, but she can't pet him until you find out what's wrong.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
A VET check is definatly in order. just because the dog doesn't show tenderness doesn't mean it's not in pain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We called our Vet, and he agreed that it was out of character. We have an appt. tomorrow. He asked if he had been eating and drinking okay, and he has. The only thing we have noticed is he gained a bit of weight over the winter, that has been it.

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
you may want to confine Band-aid to a crate for the rest of the time with some soft blankets, and some potty breaks. If he does have a injury, running around may make it worse.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Have the vet check for Thyroid (T-4 and T-3 which will probably need to be sent to a lab), glaucoma and cataracts as well as for injuries. Low Thyroid can cause behavioral problems as well as weight gain as well as be an indicator of Cushings and Glaucoma is a VERY painful condition.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you!

The only other oddity I have noticed is since he gained the weight his entire body feels much stiffer than it used to. It is hard to describe, but he always feels tight even when he is relaxed and laying on his belly waiting to be petted. I attributed this to the weight gain, but now it has me thinking, I have no idea what that would be. he will be three in Oct.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Does he have a pot belly and increased thirst?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm so sorry this happened! I'm glad you are taking him into the vet, hopefully they can pin point what is going on with him.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
So he's drinking a lot as well? Definitely check him for Cushings and Diabetes then! It sounds like you have a very sick dog!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts