Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my vet after my beautiful 4 year old Shepherd named Romeo became paralyzed in his hind legs. I let him out to use the bathroom and i heard him yelp. I assumed he got excited and jumped off the back deck.

The next morning i took him to the vet and she told me after examining him that he slipped a disc and that his nerves were impinged. She said that surgery was the answer..... but im practically poor. She hinted that i should put him down. But no... he is literally my best friend in this world. After discussing it she told me that steroids and a few other meds would help him to heal partly and over the course of a few weeks he might be able to walk again....

I cried like a baby that whole night. The next morning.... He was walking... granted very gingerly. His legs were unstable and i assisted him with a towel.

Its been 7 days since that terrible day and Romeo (yeah hes adorable) is walking really great. Very strong, high spirited and very stable.

Now i was looking into going to a Dog Chiropractor to help him heal. I also noticed he now walks with his back right leg fort of twisted in slightly.

I KNOW ONLY A GOOD VET CAN GIVE ME A SOLID ANSWER BUT I THINK OPINIONS ARE VERY USEFUL.

Soooo.

1. How long do you think i should go before seeing a chiropractor??? I want the injury to heal good before he goes

2. Whats the best dogfood to give my dog now that he is very confined to heal? i need him to loose some pounds also. I just bought him Natural Balance low calorie food.

3. How long have you guys had to wait after an injury like that before your dog could go up and down steps and walk around freely in the back yard?

I honestly dont think my vet has my dogs best interest in mind. I would take him to another vet now but i dont wanna put that strain on his back yet, he is doing so well.

i figured it wouldn't hurt to ask as im sure some of you have gone through this before. Ive looked for answers for a full week now.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
1. How long do you think i should go before seeing a chiropractor??? I want the injury to heal good before he goes
I wouldn't take him until I'd had a vet check him out again and make sure things were progressing smoothly.

2. Whats the best dogfood to give my dog now that he is very confined to heal? i need him to loose some pounds also. I just bought him Natural Balance low calorie food.
I don't know if he needs a different food to heal, but you can check out http://www.dogfoodanalysis to research options. I'd choose something rated four stars and up.

3. How long have you guys had to wait after an injury like that before your dog could go up and down steps and walk around freely in the back yard?
I haven't had this experience, but even if I had, the answer wouldn't be helpful because every dog is different. One dog might be fine within hours, another in weeks, months, or never.

I honestly dont think my vet has my dogs best interest in mind. I would take him to another vet now but i dont wanna put that strain on his back yet, he is doing so well.
If I were you, I would take him to a different vet. If he's doing well, I'm confused about why it would strain his back? But in any case, if you have concerns, call around and see if you can find someone that can come to you.

Romeo does look like a real sweetheart. I hope he does better.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I would definitely get a second opinion. Giving someone the choice of surgery or pts seems a little drastic to me.

You could find yourself a holistic vet that offers acupuncture and chiropractic services. The acupuncture might help as much as the chiropractic medicine.

I don't think a food change will benefit the dog. Natural Balance is a good food. I don't think there's any benefit to changing now. You might just feed less of his current food since his activity level is lower. That would/should prevent any weight gain but at the same time you want to keep his calorie intake at a level sufficient to maintain healing.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could find yourself a holistic vet that offers acupuncture and chiropractic services. The acupuncture might help as much as the chiropractic medicine.
I found a holistic doc about 30 minutes from me. He wanted to see Rome today but again. Romeo is a nutjob and im sure he would hurt himself going out this early..

We actually have a world famous vet nearby... Dr. Wen

http://allday.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/01/25/608474.aspx

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I found a holistic doc about 30 minutes from me. He wanted to see Rome today but again. Romeo is a nutjob and im sure he would hurt himself going out this early..

Then talk to the vet, maybe they would give you something so you could sedate Romeo to prevent further injury on the day of his appointment.

Prolonging a visit with another vet is not helping him at all.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Honestly waiting for a back injury to heal before you take him to the vet isn't going to help much. The purpose of the vet is to help the injury heal properly. If taking your pet in causes too much stress for him ask if the vet will do a phone consultation or home visit. Vets don't want your pet re-injuring themselves any more than you do and usually try to be accomidating to their circumstances. You should also ask your vet about making a cart for him to walk in or water therapy to help strengthen his muscles.

Going a bit off topic here but I don't get this story at all. It says the doctor is a miracle holistic vet, but it was conventional medicine that was a blessing for the dog and saved it's life.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I would not take my dog to a chiropractor because you do not know for certain whether the disc is protruding or not. My husband had a ruptured (protruding disc). He had back surgery. If he had gone to a chiropractor before the surgery chances are he would have lost the use of his one leg because of nerve damage. Chiropractors can adjust the spine but they cannot repair a protruding disc. It is just too risky. Just from my experience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts