Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I moved in with my roommate in May of 2012. She has 2 dogs (Both Rescues) and her cat and my little Terrier named Moo. Her 2 rescues are a small terrier breed and a lab and pit mix. For the last 6 months all 3 dogs are fine at home alone with no one there. My moo and her lab pit mix even cuddle on the dog bed together. Last week before Thanksgiving her pit mix had a scuffle with her cat and On Monday 11/26/2012 Just before I was about to take all 3 of them for a walk my roommates pit/lab mix attacked my moo for NO REASON. Thrashed her on the ground and I had to separate them. I am afraid if I wasn't there and that had occurred when no one was home my little 22 lb terrier would be dead. She suffered lacerations to her ear and a nice sized puncture wound to her neck. This is her dogs second offence in attacking a smaller dog for no reason. We live in an apartment and are in a lease for another 6 months. What do I do? This situation is beyond me. The dog clearly has aggressive pit-bull like tendencies and I no longer feel safe with her around. Any suggestions anyone has would be appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
That is too bad. Good thing that you were there to save your Moo. Have you talked to your roommate about this? You will have to come up with some solution that works for both of you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MomToLabs: My dog was doing nothing to provoke the pit mix. She was standing right at my side waiting to go for a walk and the other dog turned around and grabed her by the neck and started thrashing Moo around.

·
Registered
705 Posts
No attack happens "out of the blue" UNLESS there is some underlying physical problem (thyroid, neurological, etc). So, first, with any temperament change in a dog a vet check is in order. If everything is fine physiologically then the attack more than likely had a reason. You (and preferably everyone in the house) should educate yourselves on dog body language and be able to see what these dogs are really saying to one another in order to separate and distract them when they are getting testy or anxious.

Otherwise, management. Keeping the dogs separated until you find a way to work with them on this.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
There was likely a reason, whether you want to believe it or not.
Nobody's saying your dog was taunting hers or anything, we're not saying Moo deserved it, but there is always a reason.

"The dog clearly has aggressive pit-bull like tendencies and I no longer feel safe with her around."
This is just. I don't even know how to respond to this.
Keep your dogs separated. Keep yours in a crate and/or in your room when you can't be there, talk to the roommate about putting her dogs up too.
When you are there, supervise.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Both of my parents dogs are bully mixes. One is 25 lbs and one is 65lbs. When both are too over stimulate, they will "go after" each other. They're not aggressive, just over stimulated and will nip at each other. Before we broke the habit, the big one would drag the little one around by the collar. Is it possible that he was just excited? If your dog is that small, the injuries might have been accidental.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
There is ALWAYS a reason.... You may not have seen it. But it was there...

And you mentioned Pit Bulls.....
Well dogs are territorial pack driven predators.... Whether they are pits or poodles..

And with three various terriers you likely have some considerable prey drive going on...

It is going to take dog management.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
The dog clearly has aggressive pit-bull like tendencies and I no longer feel safe with her around.
If you don't feel safe in the apartment (although I can't imagine why you wouldn't feel safe after a scuffle between the dogs) then you should move. Get a sublet and find a place on your own with your dog.

The other option is supervise the dogs and/or work out a crate/rotate schedule. When you are not home or unable to supervise, close your dog in your room. Simple solution.

Just FYI - Coming on this site and suggesting a dog has 'pit bull like aggressive tendencies' isn't going to get you much sympathy. That pit bull terrier and your terrier are in the same breed class, I'm sure you would be upset if I suggested your dog was vicious simply because of his breed.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Okay one- Pit bulls are TERRIERS they have prey drive. Heck my lab has a very very high prey drive(higher than some pit bulls i have been around). And two-yes pit bulls can have dog aggression but they are not "aggressive" to humans in any-way,unless trained to be,but any dog can be trained to be aggressive. Now third- was your dog barking or jumping? Maybe running around excited for the walk? If so that could have triggered are prey drive in your friends lab mix. my advice is to gate off some of the apartment for your dog and some for your friends dog. Walk each separately and make sure both get a lot of exercise mentally and physically. Then a few days a week when both you and your roommate are home put both dogs on a leash(put the other dog in a different room) and keep them at separate parts of the room. then let them sniff each-other making sure they are okay. and keep them on-leash! Then let one chill at one-side of the room the other at the other side. I would do that till you feel comfortable with them. Then while keeping leash's on i would drop the leashes and see what goes on. since they have gotten along in the past,my guess is that the prey drive was triggered. Same with the cat. My dogs have learned the hard way not to mess with my cat. But if a stray in the yard it is fair game. usually I give them the leave-it command though. NEVER leave the two dogs together or where the cat can be by either dog. I would even keep the cat away from the other terrier. you never know what will happen,when you are gone.
Putting the dogs on leashes and then trying to let them go sniff face to face can make even non aggressive dogs become aggressive.

I'd just crate one of teh dogs, or lock in a bedroom to keep separated.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Putting the dogs on leashes and then trying to let them go sniff face to face can make even non aggressive dogs become aggressive.

I'd just crate one of teh dogs, or lock in a bedroom to keep separated.
Absolutely, and also in reverse..... my dog was on a leash and I brought her to someone's how for a dog play date. The other dog went nuts with my dog on a leash, but as soon as I took her off, they were like best friends.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
and sometimes dogs do bad things because they can. If your description is correct on what happened, the first rule is separate, separate, separate.

I surely would not put a dog face to face to get sucker punched again. That's just me though.

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
You should never be leaving a pit bull unsupervised with other dogs regardless. That's your first problem.

The attacks happen for a reason. You need to hire a behaviorist to come figure out what that reason may be, so that you can learn to manage, avoid, or train away that issue. Until then, crate and rotate, no playing together, walks on leash with both owners present would be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts