Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get in 2 weeks a 10 month old Australian Shepherd puppy. It is a male and he needs a name. I have no idea for a good name. Can you help me?

·
Registered
29 Posts
All my current pets are named after a different animal Puppy (cat), Mouse (dog), and Otter (dog). Except for Theta (cat) which is from the greek alphabet. Although, I did want to call Otter, Dumpling because of his fawn color and all the folds, but it got vetoed.

Most of the Australian Shepherds I've met have kind of like kids of quirky parents names like Zander, Jax, Pearl, Arlo, Nash, Zayn, an such.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Let me see, Ausies I have met or owned....
Jack
Buddy
Domino
Xander
Nipper
Blue
Stormy
Lander
Chicken
Merica

I usually name for appearance or for something they do the first day I have them in the house that sparks a name - but that got me one named Pupperoni for eating my pepperoni pizza a few years back LOL.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I'm a big fan of names from books or mythology - most of my childhood cats had names from Greek or Roman mythology, and of course Samwise is from Lord of the Rings.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I named a couple for how I wanted the dog to be. Max was after the Scottish scientist James Maxwell for instance because I wanted him to be smart. Sassy because she wasn't. I name for looks too. Ginger is a ginger colored dog.

Sometimes you have to live with the dog for a bit. Ginger was named before she came home. If we waited until she was here she might be called Tippy because she has a black nose, black tips to ears and tail plus tiny bits of white on her paws. Or we might have decided on Birdy because she makes the cutest little chirps.

Think about silly pet nicknames too. I was forbidden to call Maxwell Maxi for instance but he was definitely Mr. Max and Maximum adorableness and other extremely icky pet names. Ginger has turned out to be quite the Gingerbread Dog and squirts away if you grab. You are going to do it so be prepared!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts