Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I got a new puppy about 4 weeks ago and I think im doing something wrong with her. when she bits me i say no and turn away and ignore her but she just keeps biting me untill I have to lift her away because it is hurting.

also is it normal for a girl puppy to try and mount(I think thats what its called) your leg ?

Holly.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
She's getting your attention, even if it's 'bad' attention. The trick is to show her what WILL earn your attention...sitting politely for petting, laying quietly by your side....the good behaviors. When she bites/attacks your legs, leave the room....don't talk to her or look at her.....remove all attention. When you come back, she will probably be standing there quietly....praise for that good behavior.

Mounting is normal....practicing the necessary life skill of sex but, your leg is not an acceptable object. Interupt her the instant she starts with a sharp hand clap or your hand held out like a stop sign (body blocking). Redirect her to another activity, a toy, a Kong, a Buster Cube or perhaps a walk if she seems to be overflowing with energy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
Its hard as i have never had a puppy before. I have tried putting her in the kitchen to calm down but when she gets out she bites on to the back of my slipper and i have to almost drag her across the room because she wont let go i squeek things and make noises but nothing works

as is putting her in a room to calm down the right thing to do and if so how long for ?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
YOU leave the room.....taking her to the kitchen and looking at her/talking to her still gives her the attention she is demanding. Walk away and come back in the room after 1 or 2 minutes. Remember, you're looking for a different/better behavior to pay attention to when you walk back in (the ideal behavior would be sitting politely).
If you have to leave the room several times....so be it. Eventually, she WILL try something different to keep your attention/interaction.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts