Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Benny is 6 weeks old now but she wont eat her puppy food again, and if i give her dog food she will like to eat but she cant shew it. After trying that 3 times or so she will reject it but now she wont eat both puppy and dog food (only small amount). what do i do?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Have you tried canned puppy food? www.dogfoodadvisor.com will give you a list of good rated puppy foods. Be sure to check out the recalls while you are on the site.

You can also sign up for free dog food recall alerts to your e-mail ... if you have not already done so. :)

Also ... I would ask my vet about this.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Are you wetting it for her? Puppies that young often need water added to their food as their teeth can't crunch the dry pieces yet.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It is upsetting when this happens. My uppy is 10 months old, and I still get worried if her eats less or doesn't it (which he does occasionally.) When my dogs were younger I put water in their food to soften it. There were recommendations on the package. We didn't use adult food as the pieces of kibble were too big.

OT, but may be related: it seems like you got her kind of young? I think puppies do best if they are with mom and littermates until about 8 weeks. It sounds like you got her at least before 6 weeks. :-( IDK all the details, I got my pups young due to maternal death, but we have put in extra work because of that.

Benny is 6 weeks old now but she wont eat her puppy food again, and if i give her dog food she will like to eat but she cant shew it. After trying that 3 times or so she will reject it but now she wont eat both puppy and dog food (only small amount). what do i do?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with the idea to get her some puppy milk replacement. Also, grind her food for now and wet it down with some warm water. My puppy is 8 weeks and she is just now getting to where she will eat out of the bowl with no problems. We got her at 3 weeks (her mother ran off after a raccoon and never returned) and we bottle fed her. At 4 weeks I started giving her some ground up puppy food but she mainly wanted the milk. She might also do better eating from your hand right now. I had to train Bailey to eat out of the bowl over time. She would eat whole food but only from my hand like a treat. Over time I started having my hand closer and closer to the bowl and I guess she got tired of waiting for me to pick up the food because she started getting it herself.

She *can* eat the whole food now but she still eats better if it's ground up, so I grind it and then put a few pieces of whole food in there. Over the next week or two I'll increase the whole food and decrease the ground. We are also transitioning her from Iams to Blue, and it seems easier to mix the food and change the proportions when it's ground up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thank you all for your advice, i am happy now that with you sugestions, my puppy has started eating again, and she will be 2 months old on tuesday next week. God bless.

·
Registered
291 Posts
WHilst she is eating now, you may find she will stop again if she gets bored with what you feed her. Use a high grade dry puppy kibble but wet it using warm boiled water and add a teaspoon of a sandwich spread (we have vegemite) bovril, marmite, nutella, peanut butter dissolved in the water.

The kibble needs to be soft but not sloppy so do not add to much.

You could occasionally add a raw egg.

Use warm milk instead of water some times.

Whole idea is to get the pup used to eating different things and tasting different things so she cannot get bored, whilst always getting a good nourishing feed.

Do not leave her with a bowl of uneaten food. Remove what is left after she has eaten her fill, and that means if she takes one mouthfull and walks away - remove the bowl till next feeding time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts