Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just got a new puppy last week and she's about 15 weeks old. We think she is a german shepard/ golden retriever/ labrador mix. She is about 15 lbs now and we're guessing she will be 50-60lbs. We both work full time but we have friends that have been able to come to our house during the week and play with Sandy for an extended period of time or I can occasionaly come home from work if needed. We have been crate training her and most nights she goes the whole night without having to eliminate and she goes first thing when we let her out in morning. During the day we put her in the bathroom because we want her to have more room then the crate. She usually is in there about 4 hours before somebody comes and plays with her for a couple hours then goes back in for a couple hours before we get home. The problem is she is having anxiety in there and is chewing away at the wooden door frame causing it to splinter which is dangerous for her. We put "bitter apple" spray on it to stop her but she kept on chewing. Not sure if it was from spray or anxiety but today she vomited so we do not want to put her in there anymore for her own safety. We are fine with her being in her crate when she has somebody coming over during the day like right now but are concerned if there are days when that can't happen. For now we have every weekday covered but in a month or two it will probably be 3 days a week somebody coming over and a couple without. What would you recommend? Is there a way where she can be in bathroom without being a danger to herself and causing such a high level of stress? If she can hold her bladder would crate be best idea and make sure extra exercise that morning and night? Please let me know any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Hello and welcome, does she have toys to play with while home alone?, you could also fill a kong with something to keep her busy, you could do this if she is in her crate or the bathroom doesn't matter, if she can't go in the bathroom, and can't hold it until someone comes round, then maybe hire someone to come round and keep her company for abit, or doggy daycare, although i have no idea how old puppies have to be.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Can you afford to get a dog walker to come at lunch time? Puppies really can't be contained for such long periods of time. When we had a boxer puppy, we had a dog walker come at lunch time to let him out in our fenced in yard to potty and have some play time. She would have taken him on a walk, if that's what I preferred.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe she can hold her bladder whole time, or will be able to in couple months when this is going to be a problem because she holds it for 7 hours during the night already now. We checked out dog walkers and don't have anybody we feel comfortable with to do this. We are looking into doggy day cares but even then would not be able to afford everyday and would probably have a couple days where she would be home during day. Either way she is going to be getting lots of exercise in morning and evening but it would be couple days where she would be alone all day that I am worried about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts