Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to the dog park with one of my friends and his dog. There were a lot of pups there and they were all playing well together. Later a lab came over who was around 2 years old. His owner had him on a leash and I could tell that he wasnt very socialized. 3 or 4 dogs my 16 week old German Shorthair included went over to sniff him. I started walking over to him, to pull him away from the lab, because his owner grabbed the labs snout. Before i could get to him, the lab snapped at my pup and nicked his ear. He actually severed a blood vessel in his ear, and is currently at the vet getting it repaired. I was wondering if this will cause my pup to not want to be around dogs. Also what might be the best way to reintroduce him to other dogs without him being scared. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
The best way to reintroduce him to other dogs without being scared is to NOT take him to crowded dog parks. There are too many possibilities for injury, as you unfortunately found out. If you go to dog parks, make sure you know the people there and leave at the first sight of a misbehaved dog.

My suggestion would be training classes as they offer just about as structured of an environment as you can get. Hope your pup is okay.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I know this feeling.

Wally was starting to settle down upon seeing a dog and actually spent some time "talking" to a puppy and sniffing her as she walked (and peed).

Then we got jumped by two dogs on a walk a couple days later (and bitten too, thank GOD for his long hair - it was just a hair pull instead of a clean bite) and he's back to being anxious around dogs *sigh*

If there's some calm dogs you know and can meet - I would re-introduce using those dogs and a lot of treats and low key activity. See if that doesn't keep your dog wanting to be around other canines and being social around them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts