Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's this about? The dog jumped on the sofa and pee'd on it.

Is this a male dog syndrome? He's five months old and I've about had it with his inappropriate peeing when it is raining outside!!!

My girl (RIP) never did this kind of thing.

Bad puppy!!!

·
Banned
220 Posts
Yeah, 5 months, still a pup. Perhaps it's scared of the rain.

Or it thinks, well, the clouds are peeing all over the yard and marking its territory, so I guess I can't pee where the clouds are peeing. I'll show them, I'll do it in the house where the rain can't pee on things! jk.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now he's peeing under the picnic table and pooping under the eaves of the house; staying dry, staying dry!!!!:D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Now he's peeing under the picnic table and pooping under the eaves of the house; staying dry, staying dry!!!!:D
Ranger has never gone out well in the rain...but if I pull out the leash he is good for miles. Even in the rain. I guess we all have to have priorities.:)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
You should get him used to the rain as soon as possible. He's only 5 months now, what are you going to do when he is bigger when it rains?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As soon as possible, we are going to turn on the sprinklers and lawn watering and get the puppy used to getting wet, and hope that this de sensitizes him.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Some of the responses were quite funny :D nothing like a bit of humor when things may not be going just right. Hope you had some of, "Nature's Miracle", stain & odor remover, on hand.

When It is raining my male, the brave family protector will not go out, so I let the female out first, and then I pick up the brave one and carry him to the spot where my little sweet heart went, and holding on to his leash he will then go and do his part.

So, you have to get a female now, lolol:)

Oh, Val is a very attractive brave one.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got gallons of Nature's Miracle stuffs...LOL....ought to buy stock in the company. Our former dog was a girl and she was braver than this guy! Well, so much for the guys and bravery!

Good thing I got good strong fabric on my sofa.

Thanks. Val is our cutie pa-tootie! We'd like to get Val a "pet" when he is older.

·
Banned
42 Posts
At young age, train your pup NOT to come on the sofa. Also, there might be the factor of not being housebroken seeping into the peeing problem. If he starts peeing somewhere in the house, do NOT yell or punish him. As he's lifting his leg, grab him and bring him outside. There still is the chance of him squeezing the lemon while in your hands but it'll train him that it's better to pee outside.

·
Registered
962 Posts
DrPet, what you are saying is quite basic, most of us are aware of house training. But you must also understand many of us enjoy sharing our sofa with our beloved four legged friends.:)

I could not imagine watching Tv without my girl sitting at my right side,( thats always her spot) and the brave one always at my left side. Beats me why they have selected the sides but they do. I also can lower the heat in the winter time, and save and in turn buy them more dogy treats:D
" Life of a Dog Owner "

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We have been trying to train him on "NO SOFA" since we got him but he is a stubborn boy and keeps trying get on to the sofa. He is a pretty persistent type of dog.

I am loathe to use any kinds of "scat mats" and so on and so forth!

We have carpeting in the house that has the smell underneath from our previous dog's accidents. Val immediately started to have accidents on her exact spot.

The carpet (which is old and needs replacement anyway) is going to be taken out and replaced as soon as the dog is a little older.

I know he will still have accidents there; the odor is probably into the wood floorboards underneath.

We might get the hardwood floors sanded and coated with polyurethane; we'll see when the time comes.

·
Banned
42 Posts
We have been trying to train him on "NO SOFA" since we got him but he is a stubborn boy and keeps trying get on to the sofa. He is a pretty persistent type of dog.

I am loathe to use any kinds of "scat mats" and so on and so forth!

We have carpeting in the house that has the smell underneath from our previous dog's accidents. Val immediately started to have accidents on her exact spot.

The carpet (which is old and needs replacement anyway) is going to be taken out and replaced as soon as the dog is a little older.

I know he will still have accidents there; the odor is probably into the wood floorboards underneath.

We might get the hardwood floors sanded and coated with polyurethane; we'll see when the time comes.
If the problem persists, you might have to contact a proffessionnal of your local veterinarian for more information.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
What's this about? The dog jumped on the sofa and pee'd on it.
Uallis once peed AND pooped on my couch when he was a puppy. Now that I think back on it, it was one of the last accidents he had in the house...I think he only had one other accident after that.

I know how that is...Uallis was the same. Maybe your puppy needs what Uallis has....his own couch...lol j/k ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Although I am a fairly new to having dogs againbut ine thing I can say I did really well is potty training. I have Poms which are smart BUT they are typicaly hard to potty train.

My opinion and experience has been fantastic with crate training and potty pads. I had to backstep a couple of times but they have been pretty good the last 6 months.

I had the potty pad down in one spot only. Close to the crate and the back door. I would keep them in the crate a while take them to the pad then worked them out the door. Once they potty, I kept them out excersized them, fed them back into the crate a while, and repeat.

I was on my toes for a good month up and down every 30 minutes or so, BUT so far it had paid off. Only my experience....every dog and owner if diiferent. GOOD LUCK, the pee sprays didnt work either, save your money.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Although I am a fairly new to having dogs againbut ine thing I can say I did really well is potty training. I have Poms which are smart BUT they are typicaly hard to potty train.

My opinion and experience has been fantastic with crate training and potty pads. I had to backstep a couple of times but they have been pretty good the last 6 months.

I had the potty pad down in one spot only. Close to the crate and the back door. I would keep them in the crate a while take them to the pad then worked them out the door. Once they potty, I kept them out excersized them, fed them back into the crate a while, and repeat.

I was on my toes for a good month up and down every 30 minutes or so, BUT so far it had paid off. Only my experience....every dog and owner if diiferent. GOOD LUCK, the pee sprays didnt work either, save your money.
Thanks. He had a better day yesterday and today it's nice out so there's no problem. He's going to be a good boy; he just has his (rainy) days!!

Uallis once peed AND pooped on my couch when he was a puppy. Now that I think back on it, it was one of the last accidents he had in the house...I think he only had one other accident after that.

I know how that is...Uallis was the same. Maybe your puppy needs what Uallis has....his own couch...lol j/k ;)

We have an older sofa in the basement of our house; maybe we should give it to him...LOL.

·
Registered
174 Posts
That sounds like a great idea too. A couch of their own, PERFECT! Such a big puppy, I am glad I have little ones right now, but he's so precious! Everytime I see his pic, I WANT ONE.........But I wont, yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts