Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a mongrel puppy who is around 3 months old and he never licks himself. I remember my labrador would lick himself frequently as though to clean but i have never seen my puppy do so. I was told the puppy was 8 weeks when i got him but the vet suspected he could be 6 weeks since then i have measured his growth and think he may even have been younger than that. so i was worried he may not have learned how to clean himself... is that possible? he scratches himself and licks me and the other puppy but never himself.
anyone else have dogs that don't clean themselves?

·
Registered
704 Posts
is it possible that your lab had allergies/hot spots and was frequently itchy, so he licked more than normal? skin issues are very common with labs.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Labs and Goldens seem to groom themselves all over. I'm surprised that some of them don't get hairballs.
I think other dogs lick themselves based on smell or itching. I don't recall Rotts, Dobbies, BCs, or GSDs licking near as much ... I never thought much about it, b/c the retrievers always look like they're having fun ... whatever they were doing. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts