Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're trying to crate train this puppy. He learned the word "bed" just this morning. So whenever we say "bed," he goes inside his crate and then we give him snacks there. He's not really scared inside or anything. Although sometimes, when we close the door, he'd cry after five minutes. Maybe for attention or out of boredom (even though there are toys inside).

Anyways, we actually want him to sleep inside it without the door closed. It's because we encourage him to poop and pee on a specific spot (and he's doing a great job, btw).

He can stay inside for sometime but he never sleeps there. Even when we put him there while he's asleep, when he wakes up, he immediately goes out and lies on the floor. He likes the floor for some reason.

What did you guys do to make your doggo sleep inside the crate?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
He may have learned that "bed" means get in your crate, but he doesn't know that "bed" means sleep.

What did you guys do to make your doggo sleep inside the crate?
Close the door.
Both my dogs were crate trained by leaving them in the crates with the doors closed (including during the night and when we were away at work). When we were home the crate was there with the door open. Sometimes they chose to go in it, sometimes not. I think it's just personal preference. Even now, I bring Kane to work with me. I have a crate with the door open and during the day he switches from sleeping in the crate, to on the floor, to in the crate. He likes variety.

So if you need him to sleep in the crate you'll probably need to close the door. When he's older he may choose to sleep in there on his own, or he may not.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Agree with Jen. Close the door. The "crying" will stop. It is the dog's method of calling you back to get attention. He is a pup and needs to learn that the crate is not a bad place and you are coming back.

Another possible reason why he likes the floor. If the floor is tile, it is cooler. Look at his body position when he is laying on the floor. Is he "flying like Superman"? If so, then he is cooling off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts