Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chico finally got enough shots to go outside,
but he keeps trying to eat each and every pebble he sees.
Does anyone else deal with this?
Any ideas on how to prevent this behavior?

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Why don't you take his favorite treat or toy and every time he fixates on a pebble, squeak the toy or lure him away with a treat, and then reward him for ignoring it?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why don't you take his favorite treat or toy and every time he fixates on a pebble, squeak the toy or lure him away with a treat, and then reward him for ignoring it?
He doesn't really fixate on them, he'll just be trying to slurp them up as we walk along.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
He doesn't really fixate on them, he'll just be trying to slurp them up as we walk along.
Yeah that's what I mean lol like if you see him going for one, maybe take a loud squeaky toy and squeak to get his attention and then jog off with him and treat him lol.

Either that or start off walking slowly-ish and then if you see him going for the pebbles, speed up and make a big deal and have him look at you, and then slow down, and try again :)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah that's what I mean lol like if you see him going for one, maybe take a loud squeaky toy and squeak to get his attention and then jog off with him and treat him lol.

Either that or start off walking slowly-ish and then if you see him going for the pebbles, speed up and make a big deal and have him look at you, and then slow down, and try again :)
Has Meeko tried doing this before too? :p
I think because they are small and hard his thinks they are kibble.
I'll try and keep him distracted with his squeaky toys and treats then.
I'm taking him out again in 2 and a half hours so hopefully it works.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Has Meeko tried doing this before too? :p
I think because they are small and hard his thinks they are kibble.
I'll try and keep him distracted with his squeaky toys and treats then.
I'm taking him out again in 2 and a half hours so hopefully it works.
Haha no, but he HAS picked up cooked chicken bones and all sorts of other horrible stuff from the street D: We have a lot of raccoons in this area, so they make a mess on trash day -__-. I had to teach him a solid "give" and "leave it" and then it wasn't really a problem anymore.

Also Meeko was pretty much adult size when I got him so it wasn't as difficult keeping an eye on things like this! lol :p

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
We've been visiting the dog we're trying to adopt weekly, and mind you she's an overweight (~80 lb) pit mix, and she eats gravel EVERY TIME. She's not small by any means, so I guess it's not a little dog thing! It's hard because she doesn't know any commands or anything, and often times the toys they have out there aren't quite enticing enough to distract her 100%. I have no idea why she does it, but it's pretty gross! I don't know that she'll run into much gravel near our apartment, but in case she does I'd like to know if you figure anything out that stops your guy from doing it!

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Logan does this too. Pebbles, leaves, random trash on the ground, soil....

I decided to train him "leave it" using treats. I'd put a treat on the floor and tell him "leave it" and just block him off by putting my hand in the way until he started to wait, then reward him with another treat. So when he learned the concept, I started to use it outdoors. When I see him go for something I tell him leave it and I do see improvement. It's not 100% yet but we're getting there... However, if he was off leash and far enough away, he probably wouldn't listen to me lol.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We've been visiting the dog we're trying to adopt weekly, and mind you she's an overweight (~80 lb) pit mix, and she eats gravel EVERY TIME. She's not small by any means, so I guess it's not a little dog thing! It's hard because she doesn't know any commands or anything, and often times the toys they have out there aren't quite enticing enough to distract her 100%. I have no idea why she does it, but it's pretty gross! I don't know that she'll run into much gravel near our apartment, but in case she does I'd like to know if you figure anything out that stops your guy from doing it!
We went out yesterday and went for a walk on a field. Although there was some gravel he ran towards and I squeaked his squeak toy to get his attention and then tossed it and he ran after it. Then we just continued walking in the other direction. Luckily there was also a breeze so he was distracted by chasing leaves (which he doesn't care to eat).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts