Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a Catalan Sheepdog (Fizz). She has only been here 5 days, but now that she is settled in, she's starting to play-bite, bark at and jump up at my sister (but no-one else). My sister is quite scared because she is normally very, very calm and sweet-natured, but she can get over excited by her dressing-gown, start pulling at it and get worse from there! Can anyone help?!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Fizzy! If your puppy only does this to your sister, chances are that the puppy senses your sister's fear. Not sure what you mean about the dressing gown, but if that sets the pup off, distract her whenever sister is wearing it by playing with her or just petting her. When she jumps up at sister, sister should remain calm and turn her back on the puppy. No eye contact at all, just totally ignore the puppy. When the puppy settles down and acts nice for at least thirty seconds, then sister can calmly give her a relaxing scratch behind the ears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! This will hopefully work! (with her dressing gown -- pup likes to attack/bite it -- we have just discovered that the cat has slept on it, which could be part of the problem ;-)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Pjamas and dresses are flowy and dogs like to chase and bite the bottoms.
It's a toy/game.
Take away the fun.
When he starts to jump/play bite, get your sister to tell him no. Turn away and hold the dress/pjama bottoms down.
That's no fun, and soon your puppy will begin to associate his behavior with boredom and stop.
Just make sure she's consistent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! Unfortunately, she's started to try it with my dad as well, and also shoelaces… we have tried to be really firm/authoritative with her (NO) but I'm worried because it's every time we go outside that she goes completely mad, growling, wagging her tail all over the place, shooting around and falling over her own feet all the time! Is there any way to keep her calmer outside (once she's had her vacs, she'll be able to expend more energy and go outside our garden, hoping this might help too?)

·
Registered
928 Posts
Thanks! Unfortunately, she's started to try it with my dad as well, and also shoelaces... we have tried to be really firm/authoritative with her (NO) but I'm worried because it's every time we go outside that she goes completely mad, growling, wagging her tail all over the place, shooting around and falling over her own feet all the time! Is there any way to keep her calmer outside (once she's had her vacs, she'll be able to expend more energy and go outside our garden, hoping this might help too?)
1. Tell your dad to do the same.

2. How old is your puppy? Has she received any vaccinations? She should get a vaccine at 8 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks. This is just to keep them safe until their own bodies can create natural anti-bodies. So he can go out at 8 weeks as long as she's had her vac at 8 weeks. Don't take him out at 12 weeks if she hasn't had her 12 weeks vac yet.
"What type of energy level does a Catalan Sheepdog have? Extreme high energy - needs large yard."
Like Border Collies these dogs need to have a job and be exercised A LOT.
This will eliminate the majority of behavioral issues. Typically for very high energy dogs a daily walk is not enough, try teaching her fetch.
She's frustrated because she's bored and has all that energy and no outlet.
Get her vaccinated asap and start exercising that dog.
Here's a video on how to get your dog to listen.
Here's one to help with leash pulling.
Remember that training is always easier after a dog has been exercised (she'll probably be hungry too so you can use her kibbles as food rewards!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. Tell your dad to do the same.

2. How old is your puppy? Has she received any vaccinations? She should get a vaccine at 8 weeks, 12 weeks and 16 weeks. This is just to keep them safe until their own bodies can create natural anti-bodies. So he can go out at 8 weeks as long as she's had her vac at 8 weeks. Don't take him out at 12 weeks if she hasn't had her 12 weeks vac yet.
"What type of energy level does a Catalan Sheepdog have? Extreme high energy - needs large yard."
Like Border Collies these dogs need to have a job and be exercised A LOT.
This will eliminate the majority of behavioral issues. Typically for very high energy dogs a daily walk is not enough, try teaching her fetch.
She's frustrated because she's bored and has all that energy and no outlet.
Get her vaccinated asap and start exercising that dog.
Here's a video on how to get your dog to listen.
Here's one to help with leash pulling.
Remember that training is always easier after a dog has been exercised (she'll probably be hungry too so you can use her kibbles as food rewards!)
This is really helpful! We have a medium-large garden, and she is 9 weeks at the moment - she has had her 8 weeks vacs, but no other vaccinations - could she go out yet, or not? We are considering making a very gentle home agility course to work with her, if she can't go out, hoping to give her some exercise without damaging her joints - any opinions?

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
I think cavalettis and a tunnel would be ok but I wouldn't be having a pup her age jumping or running through a course.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok - we could probably find an old play tunnel - she is getting better with more exercise, and has started to learn 'off' and 'no' really well. Is it true that you can take the pups out a few days after their 12-week vaccinations, or earlier/later?

·
Registered
8 Posts
You probably could, but both my local shelter and my vet reccommend waiting until they're 4 months old, so the parvo vaccine has time to really take hold. You never know what's on other people's lawns or at the dog park. However, early socialization is very important, especially for working dogs, so don't wait any longer than that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It would be great to wait that long, but I think we will have to take her out asap, just to get rid of her excess energy! A few days after her 3rd vaccines should be ok though? To be honest, for the first few days, we would probably only take her around the block on the lead (once she is lead trained) and the pavement is concrete, so it should be easy to steer her away from any possible parvo hazards!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts